Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swapping tuners?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tplyons, Jul 3, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm pulling the CIJ RI tuners off of the neck I'm getting soon and replacing them with Hipshot HB-1's (ya know, old school Schaller type and a BT-1 detuner). Is there a proper way to fill in the old screw holes and redrill?

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Most people take the current holes and redrill them with a larger bit in order to get rid of the screw threads. Then you can fill the holes with dowell rods (w/ a little glue) and cut them off flush. I don't know how hard it would be to get a flush level surface on a finished neck without damaging the finish.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    paintandsk8, that was my thinking, but I'm wondering if there's a different method preferred by the pro's.

4. When I do it, I fill the hole with a hardwood peg the same size as the hole along with the glue. A little of the peg will stick above the surface of the headstock. After it's dried, I lay a straight razor blade against the finished surface and "rock" the edge through the wood. It slices off clean with the top surface and doesn't need anything other than a dollop of lacquer to finish off usually.