1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swapping two of the stock speakers in my 410 Hartke cab for Ampegs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoePlaysDaBass, Oct 27, 2009.

1. I have a Harke VX410 cabinet. It has been my main cab for about five years now. I also have a project cab, with 2 10's and a twelve. The twelve needs a cone repair that I have been lazy about.

Today I had the bright idea of swapping out two of my Harke's speakers with the tens from the project cab.

My brain tells me that this swap would increase my frequency response and overall volume.

I know the potential replacement speakers originally came from a 210 SVT, probably a late 90's.

My question is this: If the Harke drivers are rated at 75 watts 8ohm, and the Ampegs are 100 watts 8ohm, will this put any strain on my LMKII other than the increased power handling? Would I need to rewire the cabinet? Or is this just a foolish idea that makes you go like this :rollno: :eyebrow: :meh: :scowl: :confused:

Any advise ya'all have would be much appreciated.

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Higher power handling ability of a speaker doesnt put more strain on an amp, they will just handle more power before they fry. Lower ohms might cause a problem though but you are replacing them with the same ohm speakers. Cant say how they will sound is all but it is worth a try. If they are the same ohms as the ones you replaced just wire it the same as it was.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    :rollno::eyebrow::meh::scowl::confused: Don't even think about it. Unless the TS specs on both types are identical, you'll wind up with two doing all the work while the other two aren't doing anything at all, and vice versa, depending on the frequencies you're trying to reproduce. And if the TS specs are identical, there is no point in doing it anyway. Might explain why the 210/1x12 project has a blown driver, also.....Ok, maybe that's a little too vague to speculate on.

4. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    you wont blow anything doing that. it might not be an optimum sound but it defenetly wont hurt anything. I have mixed jbl's with altec's and many other speakers together with good results. Look at all the people that are mixing jensen mod 50's in their svt cabs with good results and they are totally different from ampeg speakers. Try it for yourself and see how it works. If the speakers are the same ohm's one will not be working harder than the other.

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, I'm completely full of it. Go for it. :rollno:

6. The 12 in the project cab has a cone tear because the previous owner put the headstock of his Rick through it after a show. I guess it's more of a gaping hole than a tear, now that I think about it.

Mr. Jaco, if you have time to elaborate, why is it that only two of the speakers would be working at a time? Wouldn't all the speakers perform at once, just some at higher db's at certain frequencies? That was the whole point of the idea. I was hoping that the Ampegs would expand the low frequency a bit, as I'm looking at a Warwick Corvette 5-er at an unbeatable price :D

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's not how speakers work. Using different drivers together is like mixing black paint and white paint with the hope that so doing will give you a black and white stripes, or maybe polka dots. What you end up with is gray.
    :bawl:

8. i dont see why that would be a problem. alot of people do it with there svt810 cabs.

avatar does it all the time with there 412 cabs for guitar too. they use 2 g12h30 30 watt speakers and 2 vintage 30 speakers. they sound awesome together with no issues at all. just make sure the ohms on all the speakers are the same and youll be fine.

9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    If you know nothing about either driver's specifications, particularly mechanical/electrical Q, optimum VAS, resonant frequency, and don't have at least a standard gain plot to compare, don't know the port size/cubic ft/port tuning of the cab you're dealing with, you're doing just that - hoping. I'm not trying to be an Arse, I'm just trying to save you some time, trouble and maybe some money. Here's to hoping, though. :)

10. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    It's also a common practice for guitarists to mix speakers to color their tone.

11. i really dont see what the big deal is. as long as the speakers have the same impedence rating theyll be fine. wattage doesnt matter. people have been doing it for years not mention some cabs come with a combination of different sized speakers which obviously perform different from one another. go for it you'll be fine.

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    "It's also a common practice for guitarists to mix speakers to color their tone. "

Key word here is GUITAR. I'm tired of talking to myself. Have fun.............

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    since you already have the cab and speakers, it can't hurt to at least try it. at the very worst, you won't like it, and you can always remove them.

i have a pair of Hartke 2x10 transporters that i bought several years ago. they sounded okay stock but they couldn't handle much power, and at the time i was using an old SVT with it. my intention was to make them super lightweight, but with high power handling capabiltiy, so i removed the stock aluminum coned speakers and put in four delta 2510 neo's in them. they sound way better now, weigh ALOT less, and can easily fill any size gig that i've played. so yeah, maybe they aren't designed for the cabs, but they are way more punchy and better sounding than the stock drivers.

14. no offence or anything and im not trying to be a arse but i still dont see what your getting at. so if guitarists do it and its common practice to mix speakers to color there tone then why wouldnt bassists be able to do it aswell? there really is no reason i could think of. we would be doing it for the same reason, to color our tone. right? the jenson mods sound great mixed in an 810 cab and people do it all the time. i mean you really havent said anything to prove a reason as to why he should not do it.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The big deal is that the modeling equations we all understand don't work when you have drivers with significantly different parameters sharing a box volume. If the drivers have different resonant frequencies, then each driver is acting as a passive radiator for the other. Short of developing your own electromechanical model, it's basically a crap shoot.

16. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    It's not just guitarists. Some bassists mix and match drivers also, and both factions have been doing it with varying degrees of success since before WinISD turned anyone with a computer into an acoustical engineer.

17. An SVT cab is divided into 4 separate chambers, so mixing chambered pairs isn't a problem. AFAIK the Hartke 4x10 is not chambered, and the point is you don't want different speakers working together within a shared chamber. Nothing good ever comes of it.

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When you take a speaker that is designed for a SEALED enclosure and put it into a vented enclosure, odds are that the first time you turn up and play with any heavy volume, you'll crease the speakers and they'll be damaged forever and will require reconing or replacement.

This isn't a problem with guitar, because guitars don't push low frequencies such that the drivers have much excursion at all. Bass frequencies are an entirely different matter.

This thread amuses me. People who know NOTHING about speaker science arguing with those who do, saying "there's no reason I know of that it wouldn't work." That's the point, you don't know, so how can you argue? Sorry, I'm amused!

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1!

20. Thank you all for your insight and advice. I will not be swapping out the speakers. It appears that I need to seriously educate myself before I try something like this.

Also, I apologize to those of you who became frustrated with this post.