1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

swear words on tv

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ripper, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    ok... after reading this article i have a few questions...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7301244.stm

ok... even though im tempted to ask what the problem is with words i wont... i just want to say:

look at the last paragraph in that article:
    if this is true, then why is it that cable stations censor their shows? take MTV for example... any songs on that station cant even say god in them, and even on any station after 10pm everything is still censored.

anyone else feel their freedom of speech being infringed upon?:atoz:

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Well what the FCC considers swearing and what MTV considers moral are two entirely different things.

MTV is money hungry, trying to keep and get as many viewers as possible without making anyone angry except for the people that actually used to like MTV for it's music.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Cable channels legally can use any language they want, however, their sponsors typically have morals of their own. Shows on FX after 10pm typically have some colorful language in them. Once it's on cable, it's not a legal decision, it's a business decision.

4. Comedy Central has the secret stash. :meh:

5. A radio station around xmas cut out the word f**g*t from a 20 yr because aparantly it was offensive, when they have been playing the full version for all of those years.

It was an outrage to take the word out as it was a story between two people and it showed the relationship between the two characters.

The song was fairytale of new york by the pogues incase your wondering.

6. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Comedy Central has the secret stash. :meh:

--------

There it is man. Comedy Central dishes it out!

As far as infringement of people's rights...? Big Brother has been stomping on those rights for many years.

7. well i have never seen problems with censoring here in aus. B*** S*** and stuff can be said almost any time but children's viewing and the f bomb is dropped a lot after 8

America just have to conservative view on these things, well the media industry at least

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Yada, yada, yada

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I never understood what's so offensive about general swear words it must be censored. A more elegant thing would be to keep the shows in which these words and otherwise bad language occurs, late in the evening.

There's no "beeping words" kind of censorship over here. AFAIK, most people are happy it's like that. I think it's naive to think censoring single words in TV would prevent kids from learning the bad words anyway...

Just my two cents.

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Typical American conservative action: condem the words and ignore the message. I'd rather have my kids hear the F-word on prime time TV than watch Fox News any time of the day. We can't show people making love, but graphic descriptions of suicide bombings are just fine. We can't use the word f**g*t, but we can show the effects of wife beating.

11. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    oh ya... and they're also censoring violence out of bugs bunny cartoons... i've seen it myself... f'n ruins it and pisses me off

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    The road runner is happy though.

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Jerry Falwell's goons are the reason that network TV can't use vulgar language. Fox News is biased to the right but other networks are balanced. It's Dubya's fault that TV programming is so violent yet there's not enough sex and vulgar language on those shows. :rolleyes:

/rant

Reality: TV puts out what people want to see. American TV is 99% drivel and pap because that's what people want to see. Choosing what channel to watch is the equivalent of choosing what fast food place to eat at. McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Subway, Hardee's, Arby's and White Castle; that's where American's are choosing to eat and Americans are also choosing to watch dumbed down and intellectually vacant news shows, comedies, dramas, "reality" shows, game shows and documentaries selected from hundreds of channels where someone might get shot in the face yet the word **** gets bleeped out. But it's not the fault of the producers or the government or busybody religious zealots. It's the fault of the people squandering all their spare time with their asses glued to the couch staring at it like zombies and being totally satisfied with it.

rant/

14. Mmmmm... Burger King...

;)

15. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The idea that the hundreds of regularly watched shows on cable TV are being somehow prevented by the FCC from using vulgar language or showing bouncing ti****s is ludicrous. Cable channels can show whatever they want to and if what you want to watch is people being chopped up into pieces with blood spraying everywhere followed by hard core sex (or maybe the sex first and dismemberment afterwards) and every other word is the the F bomb then all you have to do is push a couple of buttons on the remote and start watching away.

Those who are crying and whining because there are a handful of channels where you can't see this out of the hundreds of channels where you can see it should just grow up.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Are those channels where you can watch it free to view? Otherwise, perhaps the demographics are skewed on socioeconomic lines.

17. I didn't mind profanity as a kid... people were using those words on the playground, so I didn't think much of it. I just knew not to use those words in front of grown-ups. I don't see bleeping out swears on tv as censorship of that person's ideas... I see it more as protecting the young and easily offended... because really. You can still tell what they are saying within the context of their sentence.

18. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Is this really a problem? I mean, are there really a lot of people who want to watch television programming with bare ti****s bouncing around and the swear words not bleeped out, but they can't because they're too poor to afford cable and the only channels they get are the handful of network stations broadcast over the air?

I think there's more important issues to lose sleep over, but that's just my opinion.

19. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Ok, I'll submit this to you. The Blues Brothers movie in it's original form has a few well placed 4 letter words. Hardly an offensive swear fest. In the 90s, that movie ran on TBS/TNT unaltered. Now it's bleeped or revoiced to remove the "offensive" words. This type of thing has only been in effect since the current administration came to power. Take a look at what they've done to Animal House, as another example. It didn't air that way in 1998. On "for free" broadcast TV, I can see why. But cable is a paid service, if you don't like the content, don't paty for the service. I find it extremely offensive that someone else is trying to control my taste in entertainment. :spit::rollno::scowl:

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think you missed the point. You said earlier that the issue is not with the networks, but with the people who watch it (ie don't demand more or better or more violence or swearing or whatever). However, if there is a large demographic of people who can't demostrate their preference for these things because they don't have cable, then how can they demonstrate their preference for things like cable? The point is what you think is the cause may not be the cause, it could be a demographics issue combined with free to air network pandering to their advertisers or a conservative market. You just don't know what is reality and what isn't. Either case is plausible.

Is it a problem? Not for me, I don't have cable, but I can see all the **** and swearing I want because TV in the UK is not as heavily censored. Free to air or otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.