Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweat In The Eyes!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassMisfit, Jul 24, 2001.

1. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Does anyone else have this problem? When i'm playing after about 4 songs, I get a constant stream of sweat in my eyes, and it burns like hell. I played 4 SONGS without looking at my fretbord once! That sucks!! Also does anyone here smoke while playing bass? I do occationally and it's quite enjoyable. Not that i'm a feind or anything =)

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    YES !!! :D finally !!! i have that exact same problem, plus the fact that my heavy "jewellery" (does a padlock count ? i've been labelled "cheap":p) bashes me in the face when i mosh around during a solo or whatever. it's so annoying with my long hair, all the juices flowing off me basically blind me for the entire setand make it harder to play because i can't dig in to the strings properly. i also think this prob is starting to screw with the electronics in my Spector :(

do you mean smoking dope or plain ol' ciggies ? dunno about the dope, but i always got a cig hanging out the side of my mouth during a song - the smoke from this coupled with the sweat flowing down my forehead is probably going to destroy my sight forever, i just realised.

i love rock 'n' roll.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <b><big><i>Wristbands !!!</b></big></i> :D

[​IMG]

4. wristbands? isn't the sweat from the forehead. My solution is to close my eyes, then it doesn't get in. also, play more gigs in arctic conditions.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Get some of those huge gauze bandages and tape one to your forehead, that should absorb lots of sweat. Actually, if you screw something up you can point to it and shrug, people will credit you for playing despite your injury. :D

6. Had the same problem, but i solved it :D

I always have a 12" fan standin on top of my amp, which keeps my potato nice and cool during gigs & rehearsals..

I always bring a towel to gig / rehearsal, and after every song i wipe my face & neck clean.

sometimes i have a basebalcap on backwards, which consumes large amounts of smelly liquids from my forehead.

I don't wear long sleeves anymore..has 2 advantages :
    1) you can see my tattoo's ( :D )
    2) long sleeves keep more hot air inside, warmer, sweat, blah blah blah

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Man, use them to wipe the sweat off your forehead. :D

8. JIKES !

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Babes volunteer to come up and wipe me down between songs. Everyone gets a turn. It's liks an audience participation thing.

I wear glasses usually. They slide off my nose when I'm gigging. I have contact lenses just for gigs and hockey.

10. Well, I don't usually get sweat in my eyes, but the biggest pain in my arse that's related to sweat would be sweat on my glasses.
    For some odd reason, my sweat tends to jump away from my face and land on my glasses, and...well, there really isn't anything all that bad about it, it's just annoying, because I'm one of those guys that has to have his glasses nice & sparkly, and if they aren't, I gotta wash or polish 'em. :p

11. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    You could get one of those headbands like the singer from Loverboy wore.

12. You are my hero

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I always drop my glasses when playing. The crowd loves it!

And to the guy with sweat in his eyes: Where are your eyebrows? That's their natural purpose, stopping sweat. But seriously, wear a headband, like someone suggested.

I think it's really cool with guys (or girls) with long hair, or afros, and head/sweatbands. Just look at Jimi, or Stanley Clarke. They looked SO cool! I want an afro, to bad i'm white.

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Sheepie-I have the same problem with my glasses-for rock gigs/rehearsals i just take 'em off-people have mixed reactions e.g. "You look better", "You look weird" etc.
    When i get sweat in my eyes its a pain, i try to keep a towl near me so that after the song/set i can wipe down. I think for marching band the barret thingamajig pit members wear [me] should stop most of the sweat or so i hope. Now the sleeves are what i'm gonna have a hard time getting used to. thats al

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I always have a towel sitting on top of my amp or hanging from the drummers rack to wipe off with between songs. I know what you mean, though, sweat in the eyes really stings. I have also done the baseball cap thing, and that seemed to work too.

And I occasionally smoke while playing, especially if it is a boring song or a song that I am only required to play on about half of it. Keeps me occupied.:D

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I had the sweat problem too, with eyes burning and sweat dripping off my nose and chin. I settled the problem somewhat two ways. One, I started wearing hats. They captured the sweat and kept my hair out of my eyes.

I tried to make the hats interesting in color or design or with an interesting insignia like a patch of Metallica or a bass clef applique. I seldom wore the same hat twice. They got very sweaty anyway.

Two, I also always kept a towel on top of my amp and a bottle of water too. Another thing I did was lightly tie a hanky around the wrist of my right hand to catch sweat that would run down it, but still not do the Billy Sheehan wristband thing.

Wearing a hat solved another problem, too. Once I started sweating, my hair looked just plain awful. Wearing a hat hid that unattractive look.