Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweat/Oil problems.....emergency!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by peaveybassamp88, Nov 11, 2003.

1. HELP! I bought a new "Rick" (see the Basses board for more details) that sounded amazing as soon as I brought it home. However, after playing for perhaps only 2 hours (with brand new Spector strings), they started to sound dead. I mean, lifeless and boring and dull...beyond dead. This has happened before with Rotos and GHS strings, but I thought it might just be the stings. I started thinking: "How could a bass that I've only been playing for a few hours be sounding like crap already?" I cleaned the strings with rubbing alcochol and WHAM, they sounded like new again. But after only 10 minutes, they started sounding ****ty again. However, I think I've figured out my problem: my hands are just doo darn oily! I'm 16 now, so I could just be going through those "special changes", one of them being oilier skin. But does this problem sound familiar to anyone? And what can I do about it? I mean, it's not even the sound of the strings that are worse after awhile, but the feel also. Just running your fingernail on the string compared to a brand new one shows a big diffference. If anyone has any advice please feel free to post. This is an extremely annoying problem to deal with.

2. Coated strings. Elixir's, D'addario EXPs ,DR Bootzillas or Black Beauties.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Clean your hands with Hand Sanitizer before
    playing your bass. Use "FastFret" on your strings
    before and after you play. You will improve the
    tone and extend the life of your strings considerably. It works for me.

Slug.

4. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Wash your hands before you play.

Use stainless steel strings as opposed to nickel.

5. [​IMG] Cleaning Your Bass Guitar Part by Part

The first step is to wash your hands. No, really!

You can simply wipe the strings with a dry cotton cloth after you're done playing. But using a couple drops of rubbing alcohol (available in any pharmacy) on a cotton cloth is even better.

Let the alcohol sink into the cloth for a few seconds. Then put a moist section of the cloth between your index finger and thumb and pinch one string at a time, rubbing the cloth up and down along the string's length.

Don't get any of the alcohol on the wood; it'll dry it out.

I would also suggest trying a different brand of strings.The TI power bass series are wound with pure nickel and sound amazingly clean.

[​IMG]
    Treena