Sweat problem ! Help me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I got a sweat problem with my MM Sterling..
    It had a very thin finish, very soft but so thin that my hand sweat was going THROUGH ( !!! ) the finish..
    I decided to change the finish and to choose a big hard fat heavy one..
    Will I have to change all the finishes of all my basses until the rest of my life ?? :bawl:
    Do you have a solution ??
    Play with gloves isn't for me.. I need to feel the wood.
    (I don't even talk to you about the rust on the pickup.. and neither on the 3rd pair of screws I bought..)
    HELP ME !
  2. BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    Step 1. buy a pair of long, thick socks
    Step 2. cut off their "feet", leaving the elastic part
    Step 3. put it on your forearms
    Step 4. Enjoy!! the sweat doesn't flood your bass anymore! :D :D :D :D
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Unless he is like me and sweats from his hands.

And who says he wants to look like britney spears at the super bowl performance.?
  4. BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
  5. you probably tense up your hands too much, I used to sweat A LOT when I played...just my palms and area around that...

unless you sweat other places as well, I'm pretty sure you just need to relax your fingers or wrists when you play
  6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You might wanna consider your diet. In other words what the hell are you eating thats making your sweat that corrosive?:eek:
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I would recommend that you incorporate the following into you playing habbits:

1) Wear sweatbands,
    2) Keep a towel on your amp so you can wipe perspiration off of your hands, arms, and face inbetween songs,
    3) Bring a fan and aim it at yourself when you practice/plan on stage,
    4) Wear cool, light clothing when you play/practice.

These things should at least help a little. On another note, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you mention your sweat going "through" the finish of your Sterling. Sterling necks only have an oil finish, which really doesn't provide much protection at all. However, replacing an oil finish with a heavy nitro or laquer finish will only gum up and get sticky with excessive sweat. Look into a satin finish, which is inbetween...gives you more protection than a thin oil finish, but still kinda feels like oil. Good luck!
  8. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    This is what I tried to say, there were thin oil and I changed it into laquered neck..
    The problem is that I dont want to change all the necks of all my future basses..
    Maybe I should stop beer when I play :bassist: