Sweaty hands.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by merlin, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Ok, i know this has been covered before, but i cannot remember if a conclusion had been drawn.

Lately i have been suffering from bad sweaty hands. I don't use a pick and so its getting annoying, so bad i slip off the strings. I play in a heavy metal band and there's hardly anytime for a "wipe break". So too, in a few of our songs i go for the "pick effect" and use a pick, but because of my hands and fingers being so sweaty, i cannot grip the pick properly when we speed pick.

Any suggestions? We have our first gig coming up and i know nerves makes one sweat as well...

Oh if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Hi, Merls.

Right Gaurd anti-perspirant. spray lightly on your hands and give it a few seconds to dry before you play.

You should set aside part of your practice session each day to practice sweat control.

By the way, bassists don't sweat, we perspire. If you really want to see sweat, just watch a drummer try to read. :)

good luck with the gig.

3. Hehee good point about drummers and trying to read! :p

Umm this Right Guard never heard of it, is it something i could get in Australia?

4. i remeber way way back in the day like 1980 i saw an add for a "thingie" to make you stop sweating. you just put this pad on your hands every day and it is supppose to stop sweating eventually and it even works with armpits too!! buy now now and recieave an additional sweat baton and a whopping bucket of...oops you may wanna look for one of those :) that is if if it didn't end up with electric vegetable pealers and other unsuccesful products from the 80's.

dont worry I have very sweaty hands too and i hate it. i tried using anti-perspirant once but i couldn't get a good enough grip on it to pick it up.

however i did see people on TV with a sweaty hands disorder and a puddle of sweat would form in their hand in under 5 seconds if they just held it there F.Y.I.

see ya
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I too suffer from the indignation of sweaty hands. It's fairly bad with me. My left (fretting hand, I'm right handed) palm gets sweaty, and the moisture works it way to my fingers, and actually makes me missfret notes sometimes. All I do is compensate. Of course, I do that by wiping my hand on the neck. It looks like a quick gliss down to the 14th or so fret, but I just use the friction to cure it, and then keep on playing. And, since, I too happen to play agressive type music, it's pretty damned fast to keep up with things.

My two cents.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Merls, I don't have any idea about getting Right Gaurd down under. It may just be sold in the U.S.

It is an anti persperant that comes in an aerosol spray can. It's actually for underarm use, of course.

I would think there would be an equivelant product available in Australia.

A bigger problem with very sweaty hands is that it can actually damage pups in pretty short order.

7. ok the best way i find is this...

about 1 hour before you play wear gloves, thick gloves are better, and do wateva it takes until ure hands are sweating quite alot. after about half an hour take of the gloves and run your hands under freezing cold water. you can only sweat till a certain extent until you fingers become dry and the sweat glands become empty. by rinsing in really cold water, this washes away the dry sweat on your hands and also makes ure hands really cold for the next 30 mins, u may start to sweat again after about 1-2 hours, but then just repeat under the cold water. this glove/water process will last about 3 hours in total until your sweat glands are filled again.

8. Cheers, I'll try the aerosole spray thing first, Although i am in Australia its damn cold in the rehearsal room! And cold water doesn't seem appealing. lolololol Plus i don't think i have gloves..

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    The best solution I've heard??....

Baking Soda!

A good guitarist friend of mine told me that if I sweat really bad to dip my fingers into a small baggie of baking soda before each set. The powder dries your fingers while also neutralizing the acid in your sweat, making it better on your strings:)
  10. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp

and merls if all of the none sweat, sorry perspiration, techniques dont work when using a pick u cud cut lines on both sides of ure pick but not to deep because it breaks, and all the sweat goes into them and u can keep a grip on it.
    thats wot I had to do in the summer concert in my school because it was so DAMN hot in there, especially under the lights.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is shorthand for pickups.
  12. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    For me i need my hands to sweat some in order to do some of the slides & position shifts in marching band. The baking soda thing has worked before for me along with using some baby powder. Thats all