Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swedish Luthier!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, May 30, 2002.

1. Hi folks,
    Have any of you had any experience of this particular luthier?

<A HREF="http://www.mds.mdh.se/~fly98dnn/index.html">Nadjalin Basses</A>

I just found his (or her) homepage and thought it might be something for the future. Maybe a 6+:er...

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Last time i saw his website, that singlecut wasn't there... It looks nice! Perhaps one could visit his shop and try something out, next time i'm down south...

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know. He really charges a lot of money for being the no-name luthier he is. Then again, he could be the next Mike Tobias that nobody knows about.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    15000 SEK is OK.
    15000 SEK + material is robbery!

Nadjalin still has to show his results, to be able to charge that money. I'd rather put the same money in the simplest Mabass (in Karlskoga), or check with Ares or Edin.
    Actually, brothers, there are quite a few swedish luthier, lurkin' in the vast woods of our native!

What if we joined forces to bring them out in the light?

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You're welcome to try, but count me out - I know just as much about Swedish luthiery as a rabbit knows about quantum physics.

Seems to me they've missed a vital part in their business strategy... namely marketing. The least they could do is have a decent webpage on a free host, no? That has to be the cheapest marketing strategy known to man!

6. I played a very Carl Thompson-esque five string Nadjalin bass briefly in a shop in Stockholm a couple of years ago (I think it's the maple one on his site), but not amplified. All I can remember is that it felt handmade or as one might call it "slöjdig" ;). This is not necesarily a bad thing, and the bass did indeed feel solid. The neck profile was a bit odd, it had kind of an asymetrical hard V profile, but not uncomfortable. And, as he is a custom kind of builder, you can probably specify any neck profile you'd want. I'm not sure that it would be worth the money though, the one I tried felt a bit trögspelad, since the prices are on the high side.
    I would rather call Edin - who has a nice website - or Ares if I wanted a Swedish made bass.
    BTW, does anyone know if Ares is still in business? I've heard rumours that he might not be, which would be a pity. He makes/made such nice basses.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Because we know they exist over there. ;)

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Edin (isn't it Edin & Ekvall btw?) is a quality builder. I've played Ale Möllers mandola, and it was beautiful! The wait is around a year for an instrument, though.

9. Edin & Ekvall? Not according to their site, but, then again, there's no presentation of the luthier(s) (?) there either...
    Anyhow, since the company in question is called "Edin Electric Bass Guitars", the one you're thinking of might be some other instrument building Edin. If the one you're thinking of is from Kalmar, though, it's probably the same person.

10. Matt_1

Matt_1

Oct 14, 2001
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey, greetings to the home of Millencolin, especially Örebro!!! Well, I think the basses are great but kind of way too expensive, don`t you think?? Where is this shop, maybe someone can make a test or something.

See ya!

:D

11. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Perhaps it's Ådin and Ekvall? They're famous for their mandolas, and guitars I think. Very good instruments!

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Now you know, Clamps!!;) :D :p

Mabass: he has no web-site, and I don't know of anybody that displys a Mabass. Perhaps you could call him and have a chat. He's in Karlskoga, and has a fabulous music shop there!

13. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
    Hi,
    I find this thread a little to late but I felt that I have to made comment anyway...
    My name is Edin Alidzanovic and I am a man behind “ Edin Electric Bass Guitars”- Kalmar/ Sweden
    Thank you for mentioned me here! “Edin Electric Bass Guitars” is one-man operated company for time being, but in respect to people who are helping me with non-building issues, I prefer to use “we” instead of “I”. I also prefer to call my company not exactly by the same name as my personal name.
    I find this thread as valuable input and will do efforts to make better presentation of my company and me on my web site.
    And yes, I know: the grass is always greener on the other side!;)

Thanks!

/EA

Edin Electric Bass Guitars

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hej, Edin!
    And thanks for bringing this thread back alive! I think it is important to show swedes and others, that musical instruments were invented and produced only in the US. Actually, the ingenuity of Europeans, including Swedes, have fed a lot of US industries over the years. And Asian...

Thus, the question is: how do we make Swedish (and European) luthiers visible in the thunderstorm of Amerikan and Asian advertising?
    Could there be a kind of union of instrument makers, regarding advertisment?
    Or some other idea??

PS Obviously, there must also be someone brave enough to make a low cost line, to open peoples eyes DS

15. Originally posted by Suburban
    Thus, the question is: how do we make Swedish (and European) luthiers visible in the thunderstorm of Amerikan and Asian advertising?
    Could there be a kind of union of instrument makers, regarding advertisment?
    Or some other idea??

Good question. This German site might serve as an example as of how to make European luthiers try to navigate through the above mentioned thunderstorm: German Instruments. I certainly applaud the try, and I hope it's a successful one.

PS Obviously, there must also be someone brave enough to make a low cost line, to open peoples eyes DS

Yes. And there, kind of, is such a company. Ever heard of Washburn? They make both Jerzy Drozd and Marleaux basses, or so it seems. :rolleyes:

And don't forget Sweagle, with their competitivly priced, Korean made instruments. ;)

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yes, GI is an interesting idea, to start with. And with many possibilities to be developed.

Re. copies of Drozd and Marleaux: body shapes and materials are all copies, between all makers. Thats called evolution by impression. And is absolutely right, it must be there.

Re. Sweagle: in this context, they should be forgotten. They could have been Swedish guitar makers, but decided to go for Swedish guitar designers - which is not the same thing.

My suggestion was a Makers union, of instrument system makers.
    Which could include previously mentioned luthiers, acoustic luthiers, pickup makers, harmonica makers, and even EBS!:bassist:

It could become huge....

17. Originally posted by Suburban
    Re. Sweagle: in this context, they should be forgotten. They could have been Swedish guitar makers, but decided to go for Swedish guitar designers - which is not the same thing.

Well, I wasn't very serious, to say the least, when I mentioned Sweagle, for the very reason you name above. Hence the wink-smilie in my post.

Also, I've been thinking about your low cost line suggestion. Maybe some of the more established luthiers - any bets on who? - will follow Warwick's lead, if the RockBasses will prove to be successful enough. Time will tell.

18. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003