Sweep picking with a pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Steven Melensen, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Hey guys, I would like to share my video about this technique : http://rapidshare.de/files/5883153/SweepPickingonBass.wmv.html (click on "free" then on the next page, the file will be at the bottom).

Is there anyone else here who use this technique (I know that Adam Nitti is pretty good at it, but do you have your own way to do it)?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's a pretty intense technique that I've had difficulty with.

I think your video would be a little better if you could describe a bit more of your technique. I sorta get the Jim Lee "Funky Chops" feel from your video, just showing with no explination.
  3. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Okay, I will describe my way to sweep. Like you can see, I use a pick in this video wich is a different approach than the approach of Adam Nitti, Scott Hubbel and Billy Sheehan.

First of all, this technique is use to play arpegios (differents kinds, not only minor or major triads). Sweep picking is mainly about the right hand (but you need a good left hand to match up with you R.H.). So I play the first part of the arpeggio with a single pick downstroke. On the top string, I usually add hammer-on and sometime tapping. On the way down (descending arppegio) I use a single pick upstroke.

In this video, all the 4 exemples are on one chord, but of course, you can change the chords as you want. For those who would matter, the first exemple is on C sharp min7, the second is on A min and the two last ones are on E min.

So that's about it!
  4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Not bad witht he explanation. Sweep is easy for me, as I learned some virtuoso guitar techniques from a friend.