Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweepable Mids...What low-cost peddle does this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 15, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    This inquiry hinges on the notion that i really dont like the thin sound of the d and g. It doesnt sound uniform with e and a. For example if i am playing "Mother's Little Helper" by the Rolling Stones, i use notes on the d and g string for the verse and notes on the e and a for the chorus. If i turn up the bass eq to get the full low-end on the d and g the low-end of the e and a is way too much because their gage is heavier.

What i want is a balanced sound so that though some notes are lower than others they all share a uniform sound with out the low notes going "boom" and rattling the windows.

i play a geddy lee jazz bass thru a clarus amp and wizzy cab. right now i use chromes but i have Ti Jazz flats on order.

My G string is giving me alot of "TREBLE" ;)

What is the make and model of a peddle that does sweepable mids? I think its also called shape control.

Any other suggestions to resolve this issue?

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Have you attempted to adjust your pickup height? Also, some up have individual pole height adjustment also.

As for a pedal, I can't think of any cheap on with sweepable mids ATM- but I know a J-Retro pedal has it.

For a cheap pedal, have you considered a graphic one? Those are cheap usually.

Ted

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Stupid question: Why not just play with different gauge of D and G strings?

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i tried p/up height adjustment. I lowered the E side and found that it just made the G string louder, but didnt give it more low-end, which is what i want.

If i use an eq everything I do to the G will affect the other strings. So if i turn down the treble on the G i will lose highs on the others strings. Not good. I dont know maybe the eq peddle would work. I like the idea of the sweepable mids though.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Did you try a combination of lowering the E and raising the G side of the pup?

Sweepbale mids will only be effective in this situation if you can also control the Q, otherwise I don't think it will be anymore effective than a graphic. I don't think either is your answer though.

Basically, you'll need a parametric if you are set on approaching this from the EQ, but it seems to me that your pickups are the cause if the balance is that far off.

Ted

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Hartke pedal has a shape control. The SansAmp ACOUSTIC DI has sweepable mids...

You can get a four band semi parametric EQ from Behringer (rack mount) for low bux...under $100 for sure.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

That was my initial thought. However, then i would have to increase string tension which i dont want.

Regarding the pickups... the p/up is one piece so if you move one side it affects the other.

I am hoping the Ti Jazz flats will have a favourable impact on the issue.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes- I understand that. Each screw should be spring loaded though sao you should be able to get adjustment from both side.

What kind of pups are these?

Ted

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

I believe they are stock MIA fender pickups. They were what came with my MIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz. I was told that many of the parts including the p/ups are MIA.

10. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Torin, get yourself a Digitech Dual Band Bass Compressor, set the crossover at about 150Hz, the low compression at 50% and the high at 0 (this is what I run). This pedal at this setting makes the low output consistent whether you play an open B string or 15th fret G string (or slap). I won't gig without mine any more... really evened out my sound and allowed me to concentrate on my playing technique instead of worrying about booming or dropping out bottom end.

:bassist:

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Oh! A dual band compressor would be a good idea. There are a couple out ther- I think Tracce Elliot made one too!

Ted

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
  14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

Alright. I know zilch about compression. What's the difference b/n dual and single band?

15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, do you know what compression is, to start off with? basically, it level gain. A dual band compressor would allow you to level gain at a crossover point. Here is a primer that was writen for me when I was first asking around:

I hoe this is helpful!

Ted

16. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Sounds to me like you want less deep lows and more low-mids.
    The Clarus (I have one and love it) doesn't have the world's most flexible EQ, it's true... but I haven't observed the problem you're having with either of the cabs I plug it into (EA CXL112, Schroeder 1212). I dunno what could be wrong, sorry :-(