1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sweeping arpeggios- is that the best way?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Goregrind29, Apr 16, 2006.

1. So i was going through my hardrive this morning and i found some old videos that i downloaded off of the old Bassists of Death forum. One of the members, Erlend, the bassist from blood red throne, made a series of videos demonstrating various techniques. He does some great two handed tapping licks, 6-tuplet slaps and pops( 3 thumb- up down up.. 3 finger pops-index middle ring), and what i found to be very interesting, he "sweeps" arpeggios, but actually plucks every note in standard finger style. could this be the best way to do it? has anyone else seen this video or play them that way? i will post the video if someone tells me how.

2. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    when i do them arpeggios i usually use my thumb to go down (like strumming) and my index to go up (like raking). For example, in the arpeggio:

G -----------------10--14--19--14--10------------------
    D -------------12-----------------------12--------------
    A ---------12-------------------------------12----------
    E -10--13---------------------------------------13--10-

(Major D, i guess)

I use my thumb up to 14 on the G (A), tap the last note (D) with my index and go back up with it.

Hope it made sense...

Edit: it's a shame they removed that bassists-of-death site... it was so useful... do you know if someone replaced/remade the site anywhere?

3. Could you please upload the file for us Goregrind29?

4. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
  5. ahaTFJ

ahaTFJ Guest

Apr 2, 2006
    Chicago
  6. I was hoping i could put up all the this guys technique videos, maybe i should send him an email, he was a great addition to the bassists of death forum. If some1 could just PM me and tell me how to post a video ill do it.

7. That video already posted was awesome!:bassist: :bassist: I've been working on arpeggios for a while and i cant get past a four string sweep(i play a 6 string).. i am going to trying to do it the other way, by actually just plucking every note, i think the tone is better this way actually. Anyways i dont think there is a replacement site for the bassist of death site, its a real shame it had to go down. Although if you search it on google and looked at the site cached, than all of the articles are there, just no pictures.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Right now there are many sites that allow you to post videos. The only thing you have to do is to sign up for a free account. Here are some of them:

- http://video.google.com (You need a Gmail account. Doesn't seem to have any size limit)

- http://youtube.com (Up to 10 min. or 100 MB of video)

- http://putfile.com (Up to 25 MB)

9. ahaTFJ

ahaTFJ Guest

Apr 2, 2006
    Chicago
    I'd like to see this video

10. Me too.:)

11. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    well, start by doing one-note-per-string sweeps, which is wat I do mostly... for 4 string...

--------------17-^---------------17^---------
    ----------19-^--------------19-^-------------
    ------19-^--------------19-^-----------------
    --17-^--------------17-^---------------------

use your thumb as a pick, and never bend your thumb like what you do on an acoustic strumming... get your thumb in a slapping position (stiff thumb, hand in fist position - at least thats wat I do), and just practice the above excercise with a metronome at a slow beat, and gradually speed up. make sure you mute the notes after,,

for coming down, use your index finger,, do a rake with same notes as above except that you are coming down. Im still mastering this myself,,, notice that in my video, I don't come down

12. What about upstrokes?

Scott Hubbell has a really cool way to do it. He has videos and descriptions on his website explaining his technique for sweeping.

http://www.scotthubbell.com/lessons.htm

Check out lessons 13 and 19

13. I am in the process of posting the other videos, mainly his insane 6-tuplet slap technique and great two handed tapping skills

14. Wow! This guy has serious chops!

15. Yea, sad thing is you dont really hear it in his band, i guess he is just being tasteful

16. I like some of the technique he uses. But I proabably could have judged better if he was amped... too much finger noise for me...
    Thats a good trait... any instrument that just does straight 16s or something just gets annoying after a while and it becomes alot of notes instead of music.

17. i totally agree, but at the same time i wish his lines were more counterpointal and at times more complex on bass

18. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    People keep talking about the bassists of death forum-what was it, and why did it go down?

19. Ha, yea, it might have helped if he was actually plugged into something. A lot of string noise that would probably come through though. I remember Alex Webster did some solo at ashow and it was just a bunch of gobbledygoop nonsense, even though they were fast techniques. Unless you really have a great sense of melody and feel in your soloing at that speed...dont do it.