1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sweeping help (I have searched...)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    Hey everyone,

I've been trying to learn to sweep recently but I can't even get my head around it let alone my hands!

I understand the various techniques involved in the right hand but it's the left hand that's baffling me. Could someone post a short video or tab ofa typical sweeping phrase, ie which notes are played with the right hand and which notes are hammer ons/ pull offs/ right hand taps etc.

Thanks in advance.

(also any experts feeling like makinga sweeping sticky???)

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    search youtube for Adam Nitti

3. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    There are slightly different versions of sweeping, depending on what kind of arpeggios you want to do, but here's an exercise I've been doing lately that I feel has helped develop my sweeping, try it if you want:

(assuming you're using a 4-string, but if you have a high C string, move everything up one string)
    G-------10-14-10------
    D----12----------12---
    A-12---------------12-
    G----------------------

What I do is play all the notes up to, but not including, the A (14th fret) with my thumb in a downward motion, then use my index finger to tap the A, and then use a pull-off to sound the F (10th fret), and play the descending notes with the index finger that I just pulled off the G string.
    So all you're really doing with your left hand is fretting the A string with your ring finger, fretting the D string with your ring finger, and fretting the G string with your index finger.

The hard thing about this exercise is making sure your hands are working in unison, so when you're picking the D string, your fretting hand is also holding down the string. When you get it a bit faster, this becomes the main obstacle in making it sound nice, otherwise you'll just have a lot of either open strings or ghost notes.

4. Video I made specifically for these purposes, hope it helps!

5. :eek: