Sweeping on bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Oct 7, 2005.

1. I jammed with my friend the other day, hes a bassist to. We were soloing then all the sudden he started sweeping. I was blown away. he was using his thumb as the pick. Does anyone know any sweep patterns for 3 and 4 strings? All i really need is one pattern or so then i can figure out some more. Thanks for your help!
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Click on "Technique [BG]." Scroll down, and look for the topic "Sweep picking with a pick."
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Adam Nitti uses some sweeping in his playing. The intro to Skitzo is played by sweeping (a combination of right hand economy of motion movement, thumb picking, and tapping). The Institute of Bass website use to have an excellent lesson regarding sweeping, but I don't think it's on there anymore.
  4. Victor Wooten does some thumb sweeps across all the strings, but they're used more as percussive muted pop stuff.
  5. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    If you wanna' add sweep to your play just play any groove and insert a sweep of the thumb all the way down on the right time.
    when you practice enough you can use your index going up right after you did the sweep down with the thumb ....

Good luck.