1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sweeping Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PerpetualBass, Mar 13, 2009.

1. PerpetualBass

PerpetualBass

Mar 13, 2009
    I'm still developing my sweeping technique, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight or ideas that would help me.

I play fingerstyle and generally use the index and middle, but I am trying to incorporate the ring finger into my playing. Whereas some players use their thumb to sweep up, I try to finger as many notes in my ascent as possible. This is where most of my problems stem from.

In the higher range (tuned to D standard, my C and F strings), I have what I consider to be the 'correct' amount of string tension, I'm able to tap with my right hand and maneuver my left hand the way I want. In the lower register (D and G) however, It seems like there isn't enough resistance and the strings don't come back when I need them to. This results in a lot of low-end mud.

I'm thinking of purchasing DR Strings, I play medium-gauge Black Beauties currently. I thought that their heavy-gauge strings with a tapered core would give me the extra string tension I need. On a 34" scale, 4-string B.C. Rich Beast, is this a good idea?

Also, any patterns or forms of sweeps & arpeggios are welcome and very much needed.

2. there a thread a couple weeks ago where I gave some examples on different right hand techniques for sweeping. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521742

As for the tension problem, it is a problem I share with you and am still trying to fix. So I'm looking forward to info on that too.

3. The Factory

The Factory

Mar 8, 2009
    Texas