Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweeps?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by metallicarules, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe I've just been hanging around too many guitarists but does anybody else here use sweeps? Or am I to be scoffed at for using such a technique on bass?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My Mum and Dad used to use sweeps to clear their chimney when it got blocked by too much soot - and they all looked like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins! :rolleyes:

Um diddle diddle um diddle - I .......ad nauseam!

3. But what's a sweep? How's it done? Sorry, never heard of this.

John

4. Bruce Lindfield

They're the guys who go up the chimney - covered in soot - with their brushes - cheeky cockney chappies!! Oh and they're lucky at weddings! ;)

Thought you would have known that! ;)

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Oh, dear. Leave the poor guy alone, Bruce, you big meanie. :D

But, seriously, I've never heard of this technique before. That probably means it's the work of Satan, but I'm not going to set myself into that position too early. ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

I think what we're saying is :

"Real Bassists only use their fingers!!"

Or - why would I want a cheap piece of plastic to come between me and my bass? :D

7. Adam Nitti does what is essentailly sweep picking with his fingers. He is an amazing player but IMO falls into the stylistic cheesiness of many virtuoso bassists. It is a pretty interesting effect when used sparingly.

-Chris

8. But if you're going to try this technique on a bass, what exactly do you do?

How do you sweep, err, other than those methods that involve fires, soot, brushes, Mary Poppins and similar?

:D :p Yeh, leave me alone, Bruce :p :D

John

9. Bruce Lindfield

Ahah! You failed to mention the football (soccer) role of "sweeper" - sometimes called the "libro" - continental term! So the sweeper "sweeps up" behind the two other centre backs in a "back three". He can also get forward to suprise the opposition.

10. You see, for the team I've followed - albeit very loosely - this sweeper guy is obviously the one who's never on the field of play when he's most needed. That is, at all.

Thereto and forthnotwhichsoever, we must not forget those appliances that cleanse our streets when looking desparately for further definitions of "sweeper". There are doubtless others NONE OF WHICH HAVE ANY PLACE WHATEVER IN THIS THREAD ON TALK BASS.

So, before my enthusiasm for an answer dries up - which it will definitely do after this post - please describe how to sweep on a bass. I need to know so that I never use it, you see.

:D :D :D :D

John

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use it on the rare occasions I play with a pick, mainly to create fast rhythmic licks, not so often for arpeggios, although you can do it. A thin pick works better IME.

12. Way back in the late 80's, I came across a really cool technique that was the closest equivalent to "sweeping" on a bass that I could find. It's a combination of a flemenco-like motion with the right hand and tap. Very tricky to get smooth but very effective.
    Not really applicable in many situations, though, other than amusing yourself! :D

13. Bruce Lindfield

What teams' that?

I have followed Brighton & Hove Albion for over 30 years now and I remember we made a huge mistake in this respect.

So we had got to the "play-offs" to get into the top Division (before Premiership days!) and it was the final at Wembley. So our manager decided to include a Bulgarian Sweeper (I think his name was Ivanov) in place of our star striker - John Byrne who had scored most of our goals in the play-offs!

So we went 3-0 down and he decided it was a mistake, took the sweeper off and brought on Byrne, who promptly scored to make it 3-1 - but of course, by then it was too late to win and it was downhill all the way for Brighton after that! :(

14. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    You know, like a volume swell (strike note with volume down, then slowly turn volume up)?

15. My interest in soccer (football to us Brits:D) is little more than passing. I really wouldn't know a sweeper if I came face to face with him. :D I know absolutely nothing about the technicalities of the game. I have some smattering of knowledge about this team's recent history.

OK, Bruce, you're clearly a footie fanatic. See if you can guess this team. Here's a few clues...

Quite some years ago ? team won just about everything in sight (domestic and international) whilst in the old 1st Div. They are now in the new 1st Div!

There is, I believe, a contraversial connection between B&HA and ? team.

There is a connection between ? team and the England set up.

:D

So, sweeping on a bass is kind of tapping the strings, eh?

Hmmm. Much to sophisticated for me.....:eek:

John

16. Bruce Lindfield

I can only guess Nottingham Forest - though I'm not sure?

17. Bruce Lindfield

I reckon you just need to find the right instrument - in the US you only need to go to :

http://www.americanbrush.com/jn.htm

The first product on their home page seems ideal :

Product Description
    American Bass Street Broom

[​IMG]

Filled with extra fine palmyra stalks that can be used in high heat applications. 6 inch trim. Natural hardwood tapered block with a tapered hole on each side. Brush does not include a tapered handle.

18. That's right Bruce, just keep laying on the sarcasm to make up for the fact that you are so experienced yet still have no idea what I'm talking about ;). I guess I have been hanging around too many guitarists. A sweep is when you strum the string down and up like you were playing a chord, but instead you play all individual notes not allowing the other strings to ring out, there are also some hammers or finger taps on the way down as well. Yeah, so it's like super fast man...I don't know if I'd ever use it in a song but it is real nice to show off to guitarists that I can do it too even though I'm just a bassist :rolleyes: .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.