Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweet 1960/61 EB0

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Ran across this 1960/61 Gibson .

I'm gassing big time! (Maybe because 1960 is my birth year.) Someone please stop me before I bid and try to make this the first vintage bass in my collection.

:eek:

darrelpr

2. uhhh, no...stop...dont...do.. it,...please..its...tooo, --- ah what the hell, bid on it.

3. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    I'm trying to justify spending $$$ on a bass that I ordinarily wouldn't give a 2nd thought to. Please bear with me...

Why I should not buy it:
    1. Has 1 tone: Rumble
    2. Can't be intonated. (Not that it really matters - see #1)
    3. Wouldn't cut through the mix in a flute orchestra (again, see #1)
    4. "Buy it now for $3,250.00 ?" What? Are they crazy? (see #1, #2 and #3)
    5. Spouse will kill me (or worse)
    6. It's a Gibson for chrissakes! ('nuff said)
    7. I need the money to buy groceries.
    8. My children need clothes for school.
      [/list=1]
      Why I should buy it:
      1. It's got mojo
        [/list=1] Well, the answer is staring me right in the face and is painfully obvious...

It's bidding time!

;)

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool collectable but virtually worthless for gigging unless you're doing a "return to the stone-age" type of thing. Those mudbucker p/u's are, well, you know. Mud. Short scale and all I've ever played are impossible to play in tune above about the 7th fret.

Anyway, I gave in to GAS and ended up with a '68 EB3 a few years ago. It sits in the closet like an abandoned child. But it's cool. And it's mine. And it's worth at least what I paid for it. And I have zero use for it!

Do what you gotta do, bro. :cool:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Also, the angled headstock with no volute to support or scarf joint to save it. Break city.

6. I have a 1970 EB-0 (you know, with the SG body and the slotted headstock) which has much of the same playing attributes - i.e. it makes low rumbling noises.

The only reasons I keep it are:

1. It was my first "name" bass, which I gigged with from 1974-77
    2. I have the photos to prove #1
    3. No one in their right mind would buy it!!

Pay attention to reason #3!

:p

7. I got rid of my '69 EB-0 last year after about 6 months. Cool as hell but, unfortunately, totally worthless as a gigging bass. Your wife would be perfectly justified in killing you if you spent that kind of money for that chunk o' firewood...lol.

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'll only repeat some things that I wrote in the Gibson bass thread a while back, but I completely disagree with the last few posts. I think one of the largest problems facing bass players today is that a lot of players have very, very similar tones. We have a bazillion gear choices and in the end, it's all different degrees of full-range and Hi fi and it's all pretty damn boring. In my long and varied experience with short scale and hollowbody basses (many with the letter G on the headstock), I find that they are an excellent way to forge your own frequency range in a band setting. Those big- ass Gibson humbuckers absolutely focus in on a boomy frequency range- and that's one of the best things about them. You buy that thing and throw some high quality flat wounds on there and watch people's reactions. Soundmen will start being groovy to you, your bandmates will start complimenting your tone (because it doesn't compete with their sound) and the limitations inherent in the instrument will force you to play in a different fashion. Yeah, the headstock is gonna break off at some point if you drop it, but you'll get it repaired and it will end up sounding better than ever. I'd take that thing over a Lakland or Tobias or any other high-end bass.

9. I wanted to like the EB-0, I really did; I traded a '72 Jazz Bass for the EB-O plus cash. I'm a older blues guy and definitely not a hi-fi maniac. I have always been partial to Fenders but the EB-0 really appealed to me with the short scale and the heavy "boom factor" but, ultimately, I found that I could produce a more convincing emulation of the upright with my fretless Jazz Bass and later, my Reverend Rumblefish XL. The EB-0 has one sound and only one...THUMP. If that's all you want, you're in heaven with the EB-0 but if you need anything else, it is not the ticket. I have to say that I can understand why people adore them and wish I could have been one of them.

10. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    :(

It's a moot point now. As of this evening, the bidding is over $2k. I'm folding...

darrelpr

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, that's a bit over the top. You can easily find one floating around for $7oo or so.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Had a 62 EBO with a treble pickup an a badass bridge w/mute in 1975. Even with the treble pickup and three way toggle switch it was amp rippin mud city. with a good amp you will shake glasses of tables, I could not tell a G from an A !. took it to sam ash in like 76 and they wouldnt give me a dime for it. If you want this bass to gig with I think it's a bad idea. But if you collect and dont mind the price, then I would say go for it.