sweet and simple heads :D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pesticle, Sep 4, 2002.

1. im in the market for a new head. i want it to be sweet and simple (a parametric 3-5 bander would be great) im trying to get a gritty raw aggressive tone. i need 200-400 watts (more would be good if its in the price range) under $600 would be great
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm partial to the YorkVille BM400-H
    400 W, tons of headroom (725 W peak power).
    Very simple head. Sorry, no parametric.
    Still, excellent hi-fi type sound, that can turn very agressive thanks to the EQ and contour switch.

Very underpriced, if you ask me.

Oh yeah, list price us$699.00, us$489.00 at www.Musiciansbuy.com
  3. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Gallien-Krueger 700RB. 380 watts @ 4 ohms, 4-band EQ (bass, low mid, high mid, treble), and a Boost control which adds second-order harmonics and goes from warm sweet tube sound all the way to a gritty raw overdriven tube sound. $580
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Mesa Boogie Walk About is just what you are asking for.

3 band parametric, nice agressive overdrive sounds when the tube pre-amp is turned up, and plenty of power but still in your range.

Its also about 13 lbs, small and compact.

Only downside is that its about $760 if I remember correctly. IMO its worth it.

5. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Jazz Ad do you have any MP3's I could listen to of the Yorkville?
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Second hand SM-400S. One of the better second hand deals regularly available (check ebay). 500 watts at 4 ohms, 400 at 8 ohms. If you really want to grit it up buy a second-hand Fulltone Fulldrive pedal.

brad cook
  7. You want simple? I have a Mesa Buster. It has five knobs - input volume, bass, mid, treble, and output volume. That's simple. Anything with parametric mids is not simple.
  8. Ampeg B2R all the way, even used. Won't set you back more than $350 US, and does just what a bass amp should do.