Sweet deal on a Dean Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chump stain, May 28, 2003.

1. I won an auction on ebay for a new Dean Rhapsody BB 4. I got it for $303. They usually go for about $420 or so.

it has a bubinga top over a mahogany body, 5 peice maple and walnut neck, rosewood fretboard, Grover tuners, and EMG-HZ pickups.

Should be here in a couple days or so. I'm kinda nervous because I haven't played it, but it was a good deal. And I plan on setting it up anyway. I'm going to set it up Dropped DGCF with some heavy strings to offset the loss of tension.

Anyone have any experience with these basses?
  2. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    You might want to do a search.

A great deal has already been posted on the Dean Rhapsody basses, particularly the 8-string versions.

In brief, these are killer basses. Extremely well made, great materials, great features and great sound. The complete package.

Enjoy your latest score!
  3. Yeah, I searched the old posts. But haven't found much on the 4 strings. I'm sure it's sweet, I'm just more concerend with the quality, and set-up having never seen it in person before buying.
  4. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Hey, Chump.

I'd say you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I just checked out the Dean website to get the specs of the BB4 (as I'm not overly familiar with this model). It looks like it's pretty much the 4-string version of the Rhapsody 8 (which I own and love). The same scale, woods, hardware and electronics. It's all good!! In fact, I've been curious about either the BB4 or the Q4, as I've noticed that the tone when only playing the fundamentals on the Rhap 8 is ultra-cool. Very, VERY nice indeed.

In fact, the only Rhapsody model I've encountered in person that was a real disappointment is the Rhapsody 1. I felt this model to be very cheap feeling in every way. I couldn't even be bothered to plug it in.

Be sure to post again when you finally get your hands on the BB4 and let us know how it stacks up!
  5. hey thanks man, I'll post some pics when I get it. I should have it in a day or two. I cant wait to hear how that mahogany and bubinga sounds. I have an Edge 4 fretless aready, so it'll be interesting to hear the difference.

Yeah, both the Edge 1, and the Rhapsody 1 would not be missed by many if they dropped them from the line-up.