Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweet F on the bay'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Nov 20, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  2. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    she dont get any redder than that. nice inlay fretboard work. id be scared to play it!

3. Be still my bleeding heart.

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    thats so emo! :eyebrow: ;)

5. ooooh.... red madness! it looks like somebody opened up a vein onto a natural unfinished body, then went over it with gloss. Super-slick! I'm not sure if I like the inlay, but otherwise, that's heavenly!

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    That's b e a u t i f u l... Finally, a fretted F with a fb other than maple! :)

7. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Oh beautiful!

8. I'm gas'n bad for a bn6, but that one don't do it for me. I guess it would be perfect for playing in a Xmas show,just wear an all green outfit :D

Actually the color by it self isn't to bad, I'm just not a fan of the inlay, I think Fbass looks so classy without any fret markerers.

9. B3L13V3R

B3L13V3R

Oct 21, 2004

LOL!!! I'm with ya on that one!!

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I guess I kind of like it--I am just afraid I would get tired of the inlay after awhile. Looks nice at first, but it's maybe a bit too much.

I personally like the red finish, though.

11. Are those bolts on the back? I don't know too much about BGs abroad but isn't bolt-on inferior especially for a bass that nice?

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I like the inlays...I think they'd look nice on my ESP...
    [​IMG]
    One on the far left of the pic...:D

Ray

13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Bolt-on isn't necessarily inferior. It's really a matter of preference. I mean, Sadowskys are bolt-on and I don't really see too many people complaining about them. It's all a matter of preference IMHO.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You're right, you don't know much about BG's. Not that that's a bad thing, I know I thought the same thing when I was new to the instrument.

That said, a LOT of people prefer bolt ons. Any good bolt-on bass should have at *least* comparable upper fret access as any neck-through-body or setneck. I've played a high end Yamaha sixer that had better upper-fret access than a neck-through-body Alembic. There are a lot of ways to look at it -- and neck warping is always a worry in non-temperate climates. If the neck on a NTB bass goes kaputzo, then you're basically screwed. Also, there are a lot of people who prefer the punch of BO's to the enhanced sustain of NTB's.

Give me bolt-on any day. My $500 Yamaha fretless has more sustain than I've ever needed (from soft ballads and experimental jazz to epic metal) and, if something ever goes horrifically wrong with the neck, I can pony up a little more cash and get a new neck, rather than a whole new bass.

15. Bolt ons aren't inferior or superior, just different. They both differ in tone. Lots and lots posted about the harmonic differences.

16. I have the little sister of this one...check out:

[​IMG]

I'm not a fan of the inlay, but it is a great job!

17. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Sacre Bleu! Belle basse!

18. Dveeus, thank you ever-so-much! *reaches out to hug the Blue Quilt-top*

IMO, the coolest basses in FBass' gallery are the ones with that Ceruse finish style. :eek:

19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Larry Man! The combination of the Ash Grain and the red top on your F Bass is STUNNING! You have a real cherry F bass. no pun intended. That one is 'special' in my eyes. - Gary