Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweet little rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstrader, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Hey all, now that I've played it a few times I thought I'd write a mini review of my rig that I assembled from fellow TBers Billy B from LZ and Wilby man. Bill sold me an Ampeg PB110H and Will sold his SWR ST-220 to me. Thanks again to both of you.

:hyper: 1. Portability - I know I shouldn't start with a minor thing like this, but it is an amazingly light rig. All told about 35 lb. When I ask for help, my daughter says "I'll take the speaker!" Can't say that about an 8x10! If I had a gig bag for my bass, it'd be the one trip thing. Unfortunately I have three things with handles and only two hands.

:hyper: :hyper: 2. Cost - all told, under $300

:hyper::hyper::hyper:3. Sound - Well here's where things get even better. When I first plugged it in at home, it took a while to dial in a nice growly sound that I like. But once I got there I was in tone heaven. I cranked it a little to see what it coul do and it got quite loud. I wasn't driving it full force and I wasn't slapping with much gusto but it did quite well IMO. I've used it at church a few times and think that in that situation it is great. We don't have a huge sanctuary and we do have some rather timid sound men, but the little thing kicked out enough sound the first time that I didn't even go through the board. My wife complained "The bass was too loud".:D

The next couple of times I used it as a stage monitor and ran it through the mains. Since it's little and doesn't have the low end of a monster 4x12, it added quite a lot. The low B on my Roscoe literally shook the place. Wow, what a feeling, I haven't had that in a while.

I'm not done playing with it yet. I haven't messed with the tweeter attenuator, nor have I played with the pickup combinations on the bass but so far it has far exceeded my expectations.

signed,
    Onehappybassplayer :)

2. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The SWR Studio 220 is definitely an undervalued amp. I've used one for a long time, though mostly just as a preamp, though it was reassuring to know that there's an amp inside of it that could get me through the gig if my big power amp (SWR Stereo 800) went out.

There was a time when this amp was the most high-tech bass amp you could buy! Now they go for peanuts. I'm thinking of getting a 4-ohm 1x15 cab from Dr. Bass to turn it into a portable combo to take to rehersals and small gigs.

A Studio 220 into a 4-ohm Acme 1x10 would make a killer rig for upright bass.

3. As I remember that Acme is very inefficient. The Ampeg isn't much better though, I guess it would work if you don't need it loud. If I need more volume, I think I'd go for an efficient 12", like maybe the Eden 112xlt or an Aggie, or maybe even spring for an EA CXL110 or 112.

Must be about 3 years ago I sold the ST-220 I owned, which looked like it had been to death valley and back. It went for around $250 on ebay, so I guess they aren't all such a good deal. Been seing them for around $200 recently.

4. I had a Ampeg PB-110 until I burned it out (yes burned not blew). Its a WEIRD cabinet, its actually got a set of two circuit boards inside (I'm guessing to make sure you don't blow the speaker if you put too much juice into it). The only problem its horrible inefficient with power. It was a great sounding really portable amp.