sweet looking ebay bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by linebacker51, Feb 6, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That is the sweetest-looking bocote I've seen, linebacker. And the flame maple really is a beautiful contrast.

The only thing I wish we'd see more often are pickup covers that continue the neck laminations, like this -

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

That top is INSANE! I love it. The flame on the neck through and body edge is awesome... I bet that wood would be really sweet even without the top, if it was just a flamed body. Wow, that is an amazingly sweet bass.
  3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    You mean like this?
    [​IMG] :D

Peace, JP
  4. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ooo...sweet....but....that bass is BACK'ERDS!! :D
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I actually like the black pickups. It adds some more contrast into the top. In some basses, granted, the wooden covers look great. Dann Glenn's sig 6 and Geoff St. Germaine's Dingwall, for example, looks awesome with its pickup covers. This bass though, I like it with the black covers.

Usually, with exposed neck neckthrough basses, I like the black pickups more. If it is a nice complete figured top, I like the matching wooden covers.
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that lado has been on ebay several times before...looks pretty sweet to me, too. remember that guy adrian davison who claimed to be able to play like 70 notes a second? he played a lado :D
  7. rickbass

Now you're cookin', JP! I bet it looks 10 times better in "real life" than in a web pic, too.

Now, about wooden/turned knobs.......
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW, all the basse sin this thread look AWESOME!!!!!
  9. wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    $910 with under 17 hrs left?! that is very cheap for a LADO of that caliber!!
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    somebody got a killer deal on the lado...nice...

rickbass.....what kind of bass is that man? looks sweet
  11. rickbass

That's John Watkins' work, nep. I "met" him at the MIMF and have corresponded with him. Couple of cool things he told me about his instruments;

- He'll make anything the client wants, design-wise
    - He guarantees his build times with written price cuts for delays (build time was about 2 1/2 months last time we communicated)
    - He said, "You will not want to sell a bass I build, EVER" And if you did, he would want to know why and what he could do to make the situation "right"

His website is barebones for now because he recently bought a new house - www.watkinsguitars.com
  12. i see those lado basses on ebay quite a bit- anyone know if they sound as great as they look?