Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweet modulus on the bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vooch311, Feb 8, 2006.

1. vooch311

vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
  2. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Saw this a couple days ago, very sweet indeed. If I had the extra cash I'd give it a whirl.

3. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    if it were a 5er it would be mine. on the other hand, $2500 BIN is a bit on the steep side, but i could be wrong

4. Its nice

for a modulus...

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Thats pretty nice looking, but I have a few questions..
    how much do you think it'll weigh??
    How will the neck-thru effect the sound? More sustain, sure... but its going to be more or less an all-graphite sound, no?
    Do fretless moduli work? Just seems like the kind of bass that just wouldn't make it too well as a fretless.

Though Im a skeptic... damn that thing looks nice! Those electronics look killer, too.

6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    if only it had frets... way back in the day, i had a chance to play a tbx, with the neck-thru tinted to match the body... just a gorgeous instrument... if i had the $$$ i'd be tempted to try and buy it and convert it to fretted/speedbumped

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I have a Q6 TBX fretless (TBX = neck-through).

I don't have a scale, but it's not any heavier than any of my other basses, probably 9 pounds or so.

That bass probably has Bartolini quad coils. The auction says the switches are for series/parallel, but you don't need two switches just for series/parallel. Each switch has three positions; depending on how you wire them, you can have many different coil configurations - humbucker, humbucking single coil, split (P style), series, parallel, etc.

Mines a '96 and has the quad coil option (I have the original shipping receipt from Modulus, it was an option they offered). I haven't even gotten in to it to see exactly what coil configurations are wired up. It sounds so damn good, I just play it. :)

Fretless Moduli work very, very well. But it is a very clear, defined tone, so it is very unforgiving of sloppy intonation - it could be discouraging if your a newbie to fretless. That said, once you get your fretless technique in shape, it is extremely responsive to touch. The slightest variation in either hand produces audible changes in tone, so it is extremely expressive once you learn its "language". It can be a difficult bass at first, but it is very rewarding.

When I got mine, it needed to have the board serviced. The lines had somehow shrunk a little, so there were slight low spots directly over every fret line, resulting in "mwah" that was a little uneven. So I sent it out to HG Thor for an epoxy treatment, and had him remove the top dots and tint the lines to match the cocobola top, leaving .25" of white on the B string side so I've got the best of both worlds, unlined look with lined markings.

8. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT

who wants an all graphite sound? :smug: That is a sexy modj though.

9. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    maybe getting off topic, but ive discovered the cure to "graphite sound" is to get a good equalizer into the loop. then i can essentially bring out whatever frequency i desire, much more effective than with a wood instrument