1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sweet... Reviews: Warrior Isabella 5er & Pedulla Rapture 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanielleMuscato, Jun 20, 2007.

1. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Hey folks,

I took a daytrip to St Louis and tried out some cool gear at Fazio's Frets & Friends in Manchester and Guitar Center off St Charles Rock Road; thought I'd share some highlights.

Among others, two I had a great time with were a custom-built Warrior Isabella single-cut five string at Fazio's and a Pedulla Rapture fiver at Guitar Center. I'll start with the Warrior.

I've never liked singlecuts, but this was nice. It was a lot lighter than I thought and balanced *very* well. It had Dunlop straplocks installed. I prefer Schallers, but I did like that they were the recessed ones and didn't interrupt the great profile of upper horn.

The action was flawless & very low. I came over from classical guitar about 5 years ago, and I play with a very light touch and "proper" technique. As a result, I tend to like basses with flat, wide fretboards and thin necks with very low action. This Warrior was perfectly that. The top was 150-year-old burled maple, and the neck was mahogany with purpleheart down the center. It had two Bartolini pickups and very pretty wooden knobs. This isn't the exact bass, but it looks just like it:

[​IMG]

The one I played had fancier inlays, offset dots and weird blocks on the *side* of the fretboard. Interesting to look at, anyway.

Tonally (with a Monster Bass cable into a Phil Jones Bass Flightcase set totally flat:

[​IMG])

the first words that came to mind were "articulate" and "sticky." It had a very clear and well-defined high end with a lot of clarity and note definition. String noise was pretty hot on the high end, so pretty quickly, I turned down the active high-end control from the zero indent to about -3. The high-mids were very well defined and it had lots of thump on the lower notes. This would be a great bass for tapping, especially with the low action setup. I'm not a "tapper," but it was very comfortable finger-style as well. I'm not sure I'd pay $6,000 for it (I think that tag said $5,960) but it was great all around, very pretty, great tone, light-weight, and had great balance and clarity. I also liked that the low E and low B were routed through the back of the bass, and the other four were top-loading. I presume this was for more sustain and a more pronounced fundamental on those two strings. I'm not sure I noticed a difference, but in theory, I'm sure it helps.

The Pedulla, tonally, I liked a lot less. It was very comfortable to play, but did not balance as well as the Warrior. It was marked for $3,100 but the salesman offered me $1,800 unsolicited when I asked about it. The action on this was even lower and more consistent than the Warrior. I didn't really like the 34" scale as much, but the neck was *very* comfortable. This bass had one of the thinnest necks I've played and felt a lot like a classical guitar - awesome. Anyway, back to tone: I played it through an Ampeg B4R into an SVT Classic 810, and also into a SVT Classic 410 HLF. The Pedulla sounded a little too growly for my taste. It had a nice Jazz tone, which isn't really my thing, but the playability made up for it. It wasn't as articulate as I liked, but that's not to say that it lacked clarity. It has a nice, smooth low-end and good mid-range burp. This might actually be my next bass for playing out (an MTD 535 is still in the running, though). I use a Line6 Variax for recording unless the producer wants something else - so far, after hearing it, none have!

Here's a pic of a Pedulla Rapture 5:

rapture_p2.jpg

The one I played was black with a maple board, though.

- Dave

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have played both that Warrior and Pedulla too. I really liked the Pedulla, I think it's biggest problem is old strings. Put some DRs on it, and it would be poppin'!:bassist:

3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Yep, that specially voiced Bart system definitely comes totally alive whenever I slap on a set of DRs. That's where you hear THE Pedulla tone.

Lonnybass

4. +1

Mine wears Hi-Beams and it sings!

5. I just L-O-V-E the neck on the Rapture. FYI,I've always loved that "Pedulla Tone".......... Awesome! I just love a flat f/board with a thin front-to-back profile. Also,I'd love to see a non-pickguard option,like Carvin offers. Dingwall offers it on the Combustion Series basses,too.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021