SWEET Ritter look-alike on Ebay......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Check this one out!!! A 6-string fretless from Ritter on ebay

At least, I assume this is a Ritter. The guy doesn't say, but it's either a Ritter or a really well made copy. I'm sure Jens would let you know if you can get a hold of him. Looks like an older bass from him, but still. Look at the fingerboard :eek: - and at $2,000 "Buy it Now", this bass is a steal.

Someone'll get a killer deal. Hopefully a TB'er ;)
  2. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    If I was going to sell my Ritter on eBay, you damn well better believe I'd call it a Ritter.
  3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I think it's a well-executed knockoff. Some of the angles look a bit off.
  4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    +1; too bad its a bad time to contact Jens to be sure.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    If it is a real Ritter, it's an oooolllllddddd one....as in "hey mom and dad, can I try to make a bass in the garage?" old.
  6. JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    If this is a Ritter it must be from Jens' very early days ;)
    Seriously, look at the misalingnment of the string retainers and neck screws, an EMG PU, no battery cover, angled upper horn...that was a home made bass project for sure.
    Despite the seller doesn't even mention the word 'Ritter' (bet he would in bold letters if it was the real thing) this auction seems to be misleading and deceptive for some tbers. In fact, this could well be a violation of registered design/trade dress laws. Too bad we can't ask Jens at the moment...
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It certainly doesn't have the grace or refinement of a real Ritter. It's sort of what would come out if you had Jens' designs, but not his skill or experience.

It looks clunky.
  8. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    The neck bolts are in the wrong place !

The upper horn is wrong.

Its a shed :)
  9. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
  10. tangobass

Jan 15, 2005
    This sound like a mix between dpcustom and ritter bass
  11. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    wood vendors on his list also...

this isnt a ritter... but it almost fooled me... until I took a better look at it...

I dont think its misleading... its exactly what it says... this post is what made me think it was a ritter, not his statements on the auction.
  12. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's not a bad execution. Not a great one, but not bad. I do like the graining of the fingerboard, but I don't like those knot like areas in the middle. I wish I had the time and equipment to attemp that at all, to tell you the truth.
  13. Love that fretboard! It's just a plank of wood!
  14. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The obvious thing is that Jens has never put EMGs in his basses.
  15. I could swear I've seen that bass before (not in real life though). I say this because one of my friends on Musician Forums showed me a picture of a bass belonged to another member. He said he had built it because he was too poor to get a real Ritter, or something like that.........

I could be wrong though.....
  16. JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005

Read the first post and tell me again that this wasn't misleading. There is no legal need for deceptive statements to confuse potential customers with look-alikes. Hence the ingenious invention of the registered design.

BTW: I contacted the seller an no, it's not a Ritter (surprise, surprise). It was build by a 'luthier' I sure wouldn't know...bet he's right about that.
  17. Ok, ok. Nevermind then. I just remember seeing some of Jens' really early basses (like when he was 18) that looked simmilar and thought it might be an early prototype or something. The seller didn't say anything specifically about it not being built by Ritter, so it was misleading to me. Jens doesn't put his name or a logo on the headstock (does he?) so I thought maybe the guy just didn't know what it was. I've seen other ebay auctions like that.

Sorry for the confusion...
  18. Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    That bass was built by a member of musicianforums.com.
  19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Just an FYI, Ritters should have "Ritter" on the trussrod cover at the headstock.

20. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts