Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sweetest Sounding Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Aguilar

50 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Eden

52 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. SWR

48 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Carvin

13 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Other--Suggest

95 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    These are some of the amp manuafacturers I am considering. I want a "sweet" sound and I can't really describe that but I know it when I hear it. I guess it's less midrangey. I'll likely be playing through a SWR Goliath 4x10 cab.

2. You might want to post what your gonna be playing so others can give an educated hint. I'm not the others. I did vite for other though. Try Ampegs and you'll probably like them but my guess is you'll hate them, love them, or like them but not enought to get them. So if you only like them try Mesa Boogies out. Mesas are great sounding amps as well as Ampegs. Good luck finding your sound.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Get the sweet sound you want from the pre amp.
    Get the power you want from the amp.

Try all the pre's you can get a hold of. I have some favorites:
    Trace Elliot V-type (but I like it for the mids I got from it)
    Warwick Quadruplet (juicy but pricey)
    Ampeg SVP-Pro (very versitile, good price / the one I use with my rig).

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    That's a pretty weird list!
    How about Ampeg and Ashdown for starters!

I recently bought a new amp (last week). I paid £850 for a 2nd hand Euphonic Audio iAmp 600.
    In the shop I played a 300W Warwick, a 400W Gallen-Krueger, a 500W Eden and the EA.

The Eden, which I expected to be ****-hot, really didnt sound all that compared to the EA iAMP 600 which has the most incredible sound when played flat I've ever heard. It also has 4 tone presets, sounds like a beginner amp gimmick, but seriously these four presets all sound great. In fact I havent even had to touch the tone knobs at all yet!

I also own an SVT2-Pro - which great as it may be, is a massive heavy pain in the arse to carry, gets too hot to touch and generally doenst sound half as good as my newie.

If you're looking to buy a new amp - try before you buy.

Also, I'd say the midrange sound is one of the most important aspects of a decent bass amp, as the midrange is the part the human ear can hear most of.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I know the list is limited, but I am thinking of my likely sources (BassCentral, Carvin catalog, Sam Ash, etc.). I played a Eden before and loved the sound as well.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own Edens and an iAmp600 and I have to agree with Howard here. If you have a great sounding bass and want to hear it without a lot of coloration, it's hard to beat the EA. If it had a little more headroom, it would be a world beater. Come on, iAmp 800!

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I'm no expert in amps, but I tried both amps in the shop with a variety of basses (Several Fenders, several Musicmans, Warwick and others and the iAMP brought out the individual tones of each one and made each one sound great.

I just didnt like the Eden sound at all..,. in fact I found it hard to get a sound out of it that I liked at all!

The decision was tough, mainly becasue I'd never heard anything about EA and so many people harp on about Eden.
    Still, I'm glad with the choice and I dont think I'll want to change any time soon.

ANotehr great thing about the iamp600 is that it;s only 30 odd pounds and fits in one wrack mount space!

ugly looking thing tho... white with red knobs :eek:

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I'm all about finding a sweet tone. i tend to shy away from stuff like Eden. tho, it does rock for rock, its a little too woolly and aggressive for me.

preamp wise, Kern IP777, Demeter VTBP201s, Alembic F-1X.

amp wise, Aguilar's DB359

cab wise, no contest, Bergantino's and Epifani, and Flite (!?!) yup, dunno what it was about that 1x12 i tried, but it was pretty and sweet sounding. not nearly as aggressive as most 1x12's were, but an easy tone.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    btw, this is the sweetest tone i've ever heard... :D

[​IMG]

10. It's not on your string, but that don't mean a thing,(doo-whup doo-whup doo-whup doo-whup)

You forgot the sweet sweet sound of the Mesa Boogie 400+ :D

11. I too am a mesa fan, but the ashdown co. also makes some sweet sounding amps.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...EBS?

That's my vote:D

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ain't it the truth? Weight aside, the 400+ is still my preference. I just wish I could get somebody to load it in/out for me!

14. The SWR IOD and EBS classic are my favorites.

15. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Another vote for Ampeg or Ashdown...

16. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I have a trace elliot V-type and like it quite a bit..although I think I will eventually go for something higher end like a demeter or kern

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Demeter & EBS get my nod...........if your looking for sweet in a cab.........Bergies:D

18. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've got the F-1X and LOVE it! I originally was going to get the 400+ but for some reason I decided that a rack system was the way to go this time. I will never give up the F-1X, but I might get a 400+ someday to softly caress before the unsuspecting audience feels the wrath of my rock tone! Really the 400+ is a fantastic amp and more versitile than alot of folks will admit. Boogie's cutomer service is top rate as well. Sent me a new 10" speaker, under warranty, no questions asked! Before I even sent in the warranty card:)

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    of course, the 400+ would prolly throw out your back faster than your 4x10 cab. :D

Hey,

wassup with the EBS preamps? suddenly its the new GAS' lust. what's the word on them? arent they solid state?

20. Poweramps for power, yes; but even they have character. I got a Crest FA901, and it's warm and tube-ish in the bottom. Using a Trace GP7 250 watt head, and lining into the Crest as if it were a pre-amp makes for a sweet combo; of course depending on how you set your eq. Do pre-shape 1 with a mellow "seagull" graphic eq shape and you got sweet and punchy all together. For cabs? Dunno, I'm pummelling away with an EAW 1x15 (JBL 2226H loaded- 600 watts) and a Flite custom sealed 4x10 w/ Eminence drivers. Sweet works with the 15, but becomes a stampeding Rhino with the Flite added. Punch...

Stewbone.