1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sweetwater amp repairs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaggy45, Jun 12, 2018 at 8:46 PM.

1. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with sending an amp back to sweet water for repair?

I got my dream rig last year, an ampeg heritage cl with the heritage 8x10 and I’m having issues unfortunately. It buzzes and crackles violently when hitting certain notes or pushing any kind of volume through it.

I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the control board because I can tap the wires with a chop stick and it will do it. Also I can bypass the preamp with my le bass and I have no issues.

Any insight on the process would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong sub.

pjbassist likes this.
  2. Oh, you've got an ampeg. You'll just have to wait. Sweetwater can't fix your amp until new parts arrive.

pjbassist likes this.
  3. shaggy45

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    This doesn’t sound promising

pjbassist likes this.
  4. No, not at all. Ampeg as a brand has been all but destroyed by corporate parent LOUD Technologies. Once they had wrung every red cent of profit out of ampeg they sold it off to the highest bidder, which was Yamaha. There are high hopes that Yamaha will re-engineer and manufacture ampeg amps at the very highest quality ever.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Give us a break man. You know this is a load of crap.

6. shaggy45

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Could it possibly be just a bad preamp tube? I didn't realize the preamp tubes for the svt were internal.

pjbassist likes this.
  7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Seriously? I'd be shocked if Sweetwater couldn't get the amp repaired, and most certainly for the reasons you cited here. I'd also be shocked if there weren't enough new/repair parts that can be easily found through an internet search to build multiple versions of this amp from scratch.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 10:07 AM
  8. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Good luck!!!

And tell the naysayers to piss off. Ampeg is still making a good product and thru Yamaha it will only get better.

9. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I truly believe this will turn out to be very good for Ampeg as they are brand conscious and a true R&D pioneering company.

10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Contact your sales rep at Sweetwater. He should guide you through the repair process. Get your amp to them ASAP and they can probably turn it around fairly quickly.

Don't believe the trash talking about Ampeg. I recently bought a PF-350 head and it performs flawlessly even at high volumes. I also bought a small combo Ampeg BA108v2. The construction was flawless. I use it all the time at home for practice and it works perfectly. Production is becoming so sophisticated that the quality of amps is consistently excellent. My small combo was perfectly built and very professional looking. It gives a deep traditional Ampeg tone that pleases me and I enjoy practicing for hours on it.

You won't have any trouble with your repair, especially dealing with Sweetwater. Also, hoping you have the shipping crate it came in? Best of luck, it will turn out just fine. Sweetwater is a great company. :thumbsup:

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    What's his best course of action?

Sell the Ampeg for scrap and buy a Fender Rumble? :rollno:

scuzzy, Ekulati, S-Bigbottom and 6 others like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Sweetwater is the one of the absolute best in the business. Whatever they offer gets done right. And if something goes sideways (which happens very rarely) they'll make it right. You never have to worry about anything when you're dealing with Sweetwater.

13. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Provided it is not damage done outside of their generous warranty, Sweetwater will handle this to your satisfaction PERIOD!
    My experience has been that they will cover a validated problem by an authorized, in your case, Ampeg repair shop local to you so as to avoid the return trip. If you choose to return it instead, you may have to cover shipping, not sure on that part.
    Call them. At the core of their business model is the complete satisfaction of your business dealings with them.

I'm in no way affiliated with them except for appreciating their integrity to always back up their company policy.

14. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I had a weird, intermittent problem with a combo amp I purchased from there. Here's how my experience went.

1. I called customer support and spoke with someone about the problem. They looked to see if there was an authorized (GK) repair center near me. There wasn't one within an hour's drive from me, so they put me through to someone in the shop to ask some basic questions and try to troubleshoot stuff over the phone before we did anything else.

2. Once we determined that there was, indeed, a problem with the amp, and that there wasn't a repair center nearby, they sent me a pre-paid shipping label and told me to box it up and send it back to them for repairs. Mine was within the warranty period as well, so the entire process took several weeks, but it was completely free of charge to me.

I can't recommend them enough!

15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good advice, @alaskaleftybass!

16. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    I live in Fort Wayne, had my own shop for 8 years, worked as the only tech at other stores that are long gone, now I do Biomed work at a hospital, BUT I did also work part time at Sweetwater, several years ago, “couldn’t handle 2 jobs” and playing out, I know the staff, and the main amp tech there, he has been there as long as I can remember, he is very competent, and they are very busy. A customer told me they were quite back logged, when he brought his amp to me, I am not going to say how back logged, as you might figure, they are not hurting for work.

17. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    I am sure other techs, and engineers on this site would agree “sounds like” a bad connection, that “should” be pretty easy to isolate????

18. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Well there you go!:thumbsup:

SactoBass and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Looks like I'm going to have to add chopsticks to my toolbox...

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Yeah, a 40w bedroom amp will slay an SVT and sound better!!! Heh. Fender rulz!!!!