1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sweetwater amp repairs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaggy45, Jun 12, 2018 at 8:46 PM.

1. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    hey repaired my 700RB a few years back. It took sometime but it was repaired with no money out of pocket and they had good communication.

Red Planet and Spidey2112 like this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’d imagine actual engineers and techs like @agedhorse would be more likely to say they’d need to open it up and look at it first, and just let it go at that.
    :laugh:

Spidey2112 and agedhorse like this.
  3. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I recently had to send a "Rumble 500" back to Sweetwater, when I called, they had me do a couple items, like power on & other stuff, which I really didn't get, as they couldn't see what I was doing, before they gave me a "RMA", I had to pay for shipping to Sweetwater ($20.17), but they said Fender would pay for shipping back to me, once they received the item, they sent an E-mail, saying they received the amp, and it took a couple of weeks for the repair

pcake, pjbassist, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  4. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    if its is new just take it to a local repair guy under warrantee...

5. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    The reason I didn't do local repair, didn't want to deal with a across town drive in Houston Traffic, was easier to ship it back

6. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    A minor point of clarification. The sales reps are just that - people that sell stuff and work to have you buy more stuff. I've called my rep a couple of times, and they're nice, but they usually say, "Hey, good to talk to you, but this is a tech support question. I'll transfer you."

Not necessarily bad, but I'm sure the sales reps would rather you just go directly to tech support if it doesn't involve sales or questions about products you want to buy.

pjbassist and SactoBass like this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Dunno about that. At least with my guy at Sweetwater. I call with a tech issue and he briefly puts me in hold, gets an appropriate tech person for whatever I’m calling about on the line, puts me back on and performs introductions and then leaves us to it. It’s a nice bit of personal touch service that the “old guys” like me appreciate. I prefer that to getting a phone receptionist and having to explain the problem, only to then get transferred over to the support desk and relate the tale of woe again, and then finally get to talk to a tech and repeat it all again for a third time. ;)

Maybe I’m sounding like a fanboy, but Sweetwater absolutely rules when it comes to customer service.

basscapes, Spidey2112, St_G and 3 others like this.
  8. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    About a year ago one of my GK cabs I got from Sweetwater died. Sent it back for repair...seemed to take forever and several weeks later I called to press them for an update and low and behold by the end of the next day it was fixed and sent back to me. Can't help but wonder how long it would have been if I hadn't called...

pjbassist likes this.
  9. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Loud is still supplying replacement parts at least through the end of next month, after which Yamaha will take over. Should be a relatively seamless transition.

OP, if Sweetwater's tech is backed up shoot me a PM, I work at an Authorized Ampeg Service center and we may be able to get you in faster, depending how backed up SW is.

10. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016

11. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    Last I checked, I am a tech “40 Hz”

12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I understand you point. However, I've had the same rep for years. I once bought an Ibanez bass from him that had a body made of green wood. I called him up and asked for help and he did the old soft-shoe and asked if he could transfer me to tech support. I said that would be fine and could he find another sales rep that would be willing to help me with my issues as he was too busy. He ended up contacting tech support and setting up the return himself. This may not be your average response, but they do have a couple guys there that will go the extra mile. If they don't, switch.

That brings to mind another question. Is there a repair facility close to the OP's location that's an authorized Ampeg repair center? Might be easier going that way.

Al Kraft and backin82 like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Let's just hope the problem isn't the grillcloth. Sorry, but did I miss where the entire tube, wire, and electronic component industries shut down because of Yamaha buying Ampeg?

Stay classy.

iagtrplyr, basscapes, Bim1959 and 9 others like this.
  14. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

First, congrats on the Heritage SVT-CL -- my favorite amp which I too bought at Sweetwater years ago and it's been my #1 since. Sweetwater's customer service is fantastic, and that's their well earned reputation. I haven't had anything repaired by them but bought and returned an Ampeg PF-50 from Sweetwater that I exchanged after it abruptly stopped working. No issues with Sweetwater, they sent the replacement fast. But since you've had your amp a year now, and because it's a Heritage, they'll want to see it and fix the issue. SVTs are pretty bullet proof and I'm sure they'll make it right for you so you can get back to enjoying the amp.

SactoBass and Al Kraft like this.
  15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Unlike companies who like to like to buy and kill brands, I think Yamaha is expecting to make the Ampeg brand even bigger business than it is now. Hopefully the electronic components industry is ramping up production to keep up with new orders.

JimmyM, Guiseppe, 40Hz and 1 other person like this.
  16. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    My Sweetwater-purchased Mesa Boogie D-800 went down. Sweetwater was easy to work with in obtaining a return authorization, and they acknowledged receipt. From there, things went dark. All Sweetwater did was to acknowledge that they too couldn't get it to work and that it did not appear to buyer-inflicted injury. It was shipped back to MB for repair. I had to alternate calling MB and Sweetwater for updates and it was six weeks before I got it back. Never got an explanation for why it didn't work.
    I think Sweetwater is good, but not great. I returned a RIC 4003S because their 127 point inspection lathered a bunch of polish on it that did not get buffed off and by the time it got to hot summertime Bakersfield it was baked on and left swirl marks. They do honor warranties and they refund if you're not satisfied.

SpruceApple and pjbassist like this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No doubt you are. I don’t recall my saying you weren’t. (How could I even know one way or the other?)

My comment, which seems to have offended you for some reason I can’t fathom, was meant to be taken as a small bit of humor. (That’s why the :laugh: emoji was placed at the end of it.) It was not something criticizing you nor intended to provoke a reply like the one you felt the need to make in response.

FWIW I’m a “tech” too. I’m in IT. Been doing it for over 30 years. I handle enterprise computer network servers and switching infrastructure for a living. But I guess we have a little more sense of humor about ourselves and the work we do in my field than some folks over in the audio world apparently have about themselves and theirs.

Oh well...at least @agedhorse took my post the way it was intended.

So it goes.

Spidey2112, SactoBass and Al Kraft like this.
  18. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Great news. I swapped the preamp tubes out with some from my other amp and the problem is gone.

I got tired of waiting for sweet water to contact me back and decided to try that since it was the last thing I hadn't done.

So all the ampeg hatin can stop and the jj tube hatin can begin :D

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You're not the janitor at the authorized service center, are you? :D

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'll be taking your so called sense of humor all the way to my counseling session, this evening...

... tonight's topic?

"... one way or the other?", as if I have no direction in my life, as it stands currently, and just a little bit ago...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:!

40Hz likes this.