1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sweetwater amp repairs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaggy45, Jun 12, 2018 at 8:46 PM.

1. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    I do Biomed now full time, very close to IT, as you know, good chat, no offense taking on my end.

pjbassist and Al Kraft like this.
  2. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    If Yamaha makes it, whether it it is a bass, an amp, a motorcycle, side-by-side, mixing console, etc, I have no doubt that it will be of the highest quality.

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I'll bet if you put those tubes in a Fender amp they would work. Heh.

4. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Zing! :laugh:

pjbassist likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Turned out to be a simple fix.

Always look to the easy possibilities first. Things that a tech would typically check out:
    a loose connector,
    a tube that is not seated well,
    a bad tube.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    basscapes likes this.
  6. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    New equipment from Sweetwater has a two warranty. You paid for it by buying from them, you should use it:

Sweetwater's Free 2-year Warranty! | Why Sweetwater

From my experience, they are very fast and helpful when it comes to dealing with this kind of thing. They are a big high volume mail order business, so they have down to a science. They'll probably want to get you on the phone with a tech who will walk you through some steps to determine the course of action - maybe exchange, maybe sending back to them for repair, or maybe working with a local repair shop.

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

We’re good.

I should have further clarified the joke was more directed towards agedhorse. If you follow his posts you’ll notice he tends to shoot down random speculation about what may be causing an issue by explaining why that can’t be the issue. And when pressed he usually says something along the lines of how it can be one of several things and it’s best to let a repair tech check it because it’s the only way to know what the real problem is.

Guess he was brought up in the same school as me which says: “You want an answer right now? Ok. Do you want it right - or do you want it now?”

8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Check the details... You’re responsible for shipping to and from Sweetwater and there are exclusions, such as tubes.

pjbassist likes this.
  9. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    As you wish!
    Mmmm... that Ampeg tone and quality are so delicious, were it not for the horrible JJ tubes!!!! They get all hot and stuff!!! And they have wires and things inside a glass thing and stuff!!!

PS. JJ tubes SUCK!!!

;)

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Deak and agedhorse like this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It ended up being tubes and there's only a 90 day warranty on tubes (EDIT: Sorry...180 days on the Heritage).

By the way, I would bet money it was only one tube and the other one is fine. Save a little scratch and put the good one back in.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 10:23 PM
    pjbassist likes this.
  12. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    That battle will have to come another day. It was fun screwing that front panel back in. Having the back panel off helped though.

JimmyM likes this.
  13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I haven't seen verified problems with JJ tubes at any higher rate than other high quality tubes.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  14. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Glad it worked out. On the one hand it's great that you were able to remedy the situation yourself. On the other hand, I'm one of the many TB'ers that has always been impressed by Sweetwater's customer service so I was very curious to see how your experience turned out. Kind of surprised to hear about other folks' not-too-positive impressions, actually.

15. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Fire the drummer.

SteveBass5 likes this.
  16. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    You do know it's so you don't electrocute yourself (wood or plastic, of course), right? ;)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. Rumbledore

Rumbledore

Jun 2, 2018
    I didn't read what other people said above, but... I did have an amp repaired under warranty that I purchased from sweetwater. It was simple. emailed my rep, he said where to take it locally. Then, in about 10 days time, that electronics shop called me, and a completely new amp was there in the box waiting for me.

I find that sweetwater try to be helpful on a customer's local level as much as they can when anything 'amp-return" is in the mix.

Don't be disappointed if anything. After all, amps are just "things".

18. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am not going to throw SW under the bus, and my recent issue isn't in their wheelhouse (apparently) or like the op's...but here is my recent "Sweetwater amp repairs" story.

I have been using the same SWR Bass 350 amp with my SWR 2x10 and 4x10 cabs without a single issue...until April. I know they don't sell or make SWR amps or parts anymore, (thanks Fender), but my problem started much like the op's, with awful sounds like a bad cable or connection after it warmed up (usually 1st set).

Took it Sweetwater since I live in Fort Wayne, their amp tech quickly concluded the noise was from unused effects input jack corrosion? Ok? Picked it up and used it on a couple gigs problem free. 3rd gig, first set awful noise from my 4x10 (which I thought was the problem), cuz I drove home during set break to grab my 2x10 and finished the night without a problem.

Take the 4x10 to SW where they can't find or recreate the problem. The tech asks me, "Are you using the amp that I "fixed" to power this cab?" Uh...yeah, you fixed it right? Next gig, 1st set same awful noise from my 2x10...well I guess that answers my "fixed" question. Finish the gig with my Strawberry Blonde (thank God I brought it!)

Go back to SW to pick up the 4x10, after discussion with the Service Manager, "No charge" on the 4x10 and full refund for the Bass 350 "repair", with the caveat that I not bring SWR equipment back to SW because its "Not what they do or what they sell" Ok, you don;t have to tell me twice.

The refund is great, and I appreciate the effort, but I guess I expected too much from one of the largest music retailers on planet Earth...and now, my amps still busted...anyone have an SWR guy?

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Who would've thunk it? What's the electric chair made of?

20. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Yup! Lol!