1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sweetwater amp repairs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaggy45, Jun 12, 2018.

1. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Or corroded input jacks. Sounds like some Deoxit treatment is in order. You never know how long this has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. My guess is it’s not anything serious.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, good move. You definitely need the back panel off to get the pre in. Saves way more time to do that than to try to get it in without doing it.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yeah spray some stuff in it and void the warranty... that's the last thing a tech wants to see.

BadExample likes this.
  4. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    I'm just happy to have it back working. I didn't have very many hours on it before it started messing up. It's very discouraging to spend that much money on something and have it fail.

I hardly ever buy new, but i figured i should do so in this case because of a warranty and all. I live in a small town and amp techs are hours away. The idea of having to ship that beast was not something i was looking forward to.

I really didn't think it was the tubes because of the crazy sound it was making.
    I didn't know bad tubes could do that. It was down right frighting lol. I own three other tube amps and have had them for a long time and have never experienced something like that before.

Also i am excited to see what Yamaha brings to the table. They make good stuff and have plenty of money. I'm hopeful that Ampeg has a bright future ahead of it.

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have. I thought it could be the problem. I always suspect a tube in situations like yours first thing, and I usually say so, but occasionally I get jeered for being irresponsible and cavalier with my over-the-net layman's diagnoses because it could be something else and I'm "encouraging people to spend good money after bad." Meanwhile, I could have been a hero instead of an also-ran.

:D

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree, Al.

And, because it's a Heritage model, my gut feeling is that it won't be hard for Sweetwater to get the replacement parts, if they don't already have them on hand.

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Been using it for years. Zero issues. Hasn’t effected any warranty repairs either.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's a tube amp! It needs regular maintenance. Tubes are on sockets for a reason.
    High voltage, loose connections, it happens.

bobcruz likes this.
  9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    images(5).

10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Doing what's right, being responsible, self improvement and the like can only lead to one thing. Higher expectations. Who needs THAT!?!?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    JimmyM likes this.
  11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You have been lucky.

For others here, don't do it!

Al Kraft and BadExample like this.
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I would extend that and say that all amps need regular maintenance.

Ideally, look at maintenance as an inspection with tasks performed, and a certification provided that the amp is performing to spec.

Tubes do require some extra attention but in general they have a long service life.

Depending on the procedures covered, what you get out of it will vary. With some rare exceptions, comprehensive service manuals don’t exist in the musical instrument industry anymore. Professional audio equipment tends to be the exception.

JimmyM likes this.
  13. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Why, the chair part is made of wood but the naughty bits (that conduct that pesky 'lectricity) to the human(?) body are of course, of metallic composition. If the chair was all metal, a whole set of problems would arise, such as probably making the "event" more of a barbecue ;)

Gluvhand and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Sure - and the first thing to check on any gear is the consumables.
    You can tell what the consumables are because they get written as exclusions in the factory warranties ;)

beans-on-toast likes this.
  15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That’s true. Check tubes and sockets first when problem solving. Some speaker cabinets also have shorter warranties than the amps that they are paired with.

Modern day consumables include the computers that we all use. I like to upgrade around every four years to ensure that these tools can cope with acceptable performance specs and offer up to date features. I have tubes that last longer than that. Unfortunately, that applies to a lot of consummer electronics. Yet we still use them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    seamonkey likes this.
  16. dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Not luck. Understanding.

17. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, JJs have been good by me...

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I disagree.

19. dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Your privilege..

20. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    Are you aware of who agedhorse is? Unless you have more experience with amps than he, I’d take his advice.

Deak and BadExample like this.