1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sweetwater returning a bass questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Apr 8, 2015.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    hello everyone sorry if this is kinda off topic for this board but I wasn't sure where to post it. Has anyone of you ever returned a bass to sweetwater because you weren't quitecsatisfied with your purchase? If so how much did it cost to ship it back to them, and were there any other costs? Just got a brand new am std jazz bass and am kinda wishin I woulda got the stingray bass now instead. Just suits my needs better. Any info greatly appreciated thanks. growler 571

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You'll pay shipping, and there may be a restocking fee if they find any damage or anything missing where they can't sell it as new.

3. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Ok how much is shipping usualy about $50 bucks?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have no idea what it is today. Last time I shipped a bass was 2007.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Depends on where you, and they, are, and which shipper you use and how fast you want it to move. The usual.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Box up he bass the same way it came to you, take it to fedex or the post office, insure it for the purchase price, and they'll tell you exactly how much it'll cost.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I think he should take it to UPS first, see what they come up with, and then walk out and go someplace else. Just for the lulz. :spit:

TMARK likes this.
  8. In my past experience over the last year was Fed Ex was cheaper than UPS by about $30. It cost me $53 to ship a bass from Indiana to Kentucky and $40ish to ship one from Indiana to Ohio. Make sure to pack it up secure though.

9. A few months ago I sent a bass back to MF, from Chicago to (I think) Kansas City. UPS Ground (insured for $399) cost me about $24. MF charged me about $7 for their original UPS shipping cost. Sweetwater is likely the same as MF.

If you go through a UPS Store you'll pay more when the franchise owner tacks on his profit. Instead, go to a UPS Customer Service Center if possible, to avoid the middleman fee.

10. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I've returned 2 basses to Sweetwater in the last couple of months. First one had an electronics issue so they paid for shipping. Second bass was much better but still had something about it I didn't like so they covered the return shipping again, but I did end up spending and additional $200 on something else. I always save my boxes so I just repacked them the way they arrived and sent them off.

Solarmist likes this.
  11. I can't think of a better online retailer to do business with - they'll do you right.

BearCave, Ross Kratter and jjk2007 like this.
  12. Since you bought if from them, they usually assign you a "Sales Engineer". You could try emailing that person as well for any shipping/return info that's not covered above.

Ross Kratter and tuba_samurai like this.
  13. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's why I ordered with them in the first place!

14. OldPlucker

OldPlucker Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland
    From my recent experiences Fed Ex is cheaper than UPS or the USPS for shipping large items like a bass. In all cases, I use the original box and packing materials and either weigh it or use the same weight that was declared from the original vendor. After I bring my label, I take the box to a FedEx Store (formerly Kinkos) or to a FedEx distribution center. You pay more if they print the shipping label and calculate the postage.

MrRobert likes this.
  15. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    OK Thanks for the info everyone.

16. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you're considering another bass from them it wouldn't hurt to ask is they will help you out with the return shipping. They can email you a return label that you print off and just tape onto the box. You never know.....

17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I've shipped dozens of instruments within the past few years.
    If you ship UPS take it to a UPS hub and not a UPS store. You'll pay approx $20 more at a UPS store.
    I'd estimate $50-60 depending on how far you are from the destination. Farthest shipping cross country
    runs about $80 ground from a hub drop off.

18. TopHat

TopHat

Mar 24, 2015
    Omaha, NE
    I just returned an MB800 to sweetwater about 3 days ago. It cost me $21 to ship insured from Nebraska to Indiana, and the packaged was probably what most would consider a medium sized box and weight 10lbs. My new bass came in a considerably larger box a few weeks ago (Fender American Pbass), and I would have to imagine that insured, it would cost $50 to ship.

Of course when you return something, they'll keep the free shipping cost they incurred, so on a bass you might lose anywhere from 75 to 100 bucks on the whole transaction.

19. Shipped a bass to a TB member recently, Chicago to Atlanta for $50 UPS Ground, insured $900.

If I bothered to set up a UPS account I might save a couple bucks?

20. Thumper19605

Thumper19605

Jun 29, 2013
    Personally had good experiences with Sweetwater , call your rep and have a chat.