1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sweetwater setup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Has anyone had their bass setup through Sweetwater? $75 but have read they are top notch with their setups. Just wondering if anyone had them setup your bass. Thanks.

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I don’t understand why anyone would send their bass across the country for a simple setup

3. There's an entire sub-forum on TB about setting up your instrument.
    Use it.

Mili, shodan, OnederTone and 6 others like this.
  4. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Maybe the OP is asking how the set up is on a bass you buy from Sweetwater ??

5. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe he means that they will set up a bass, that you bought, before shipping it to you.

6. Yes. That’s what I was considering. I was going to pull the trigger on a Squier VM J bass but now I am really interested in the Squier Classic Vibe 70s P bass. What a bad*** looking bass with a plethora of great reviews. Dilemma!!!

juancaminos likes this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve bought a lot from Sweetwater, but i’ve never seen anything about a set up fee on new instruments, but i’ve never bought a new bass from them either.
    So is the setup an offered upcharge at the time of purchase of a new instrument? Are strings included or is that an additional upcharge? And last, if you go for the setup and decide to return the bass, do you get a refund or a set up on the bass that replaces the return if it is an exchange?

Corbin and Sixgunn like this.
  8. Many good, relative and important things to consider! I think I have decided to take my new bass (whichever one I end up getting) to a guy that set up my current bass. He did a great job (even oiled the rosewood fretboard for no charge) and his fee was $45, I believe (did not include strings - but neither does Sweetwater). I'll just purchase the strings through Amazon and probably end up taking it there. Thanks for all the valuable input.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I would always opt for the in person setup if possible. Before he passed and i had to start doing my own, the guy that did mine for so many years would always have me play my bass a bit before i left to insure i was happy with what he’d done. After a few set ups he was able to nail it every time. While i realize it’s sonething of an unwritten rule here to encourage you to do your own, if you can get what you want for $45 and a set of strings that’s a deal. That said, basic setup is not complicated and even if you have to buy all the tools needed, it’s still less than the cost of a single $45 setup fee. Point being you would do yourself a big favor by learning to do your own if you are paying someone for a less than satisfying set up. Anywho, enjoy your new bass. :thumbsup:

MCF, DJ Bebop and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  10. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I've purchased two basses from them (one on the way today!) and they both came with a free (55 point) inspection which I expect includes some degree of set up. The one I got earlier this year did require further adjustments for my personal taste. I was surprised to see I needed to adjust intonation though (before I started monkeying).

I like pretty low action and they set it to average. I've done all my set up (string height, neck adjustments, intonation) on my basses since day one and don't mind spending an hour to get it where I like it (how could they possibly know my specific needs?). I certainly wouldn't pay $75 to have it done for me.

MCF, woodyng2, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  11. Again, good point. Yes, I have decided to try it myself. If I can't get it where I like it, I will take it to the guy who set up my other bass. Thanks again for the info!

MCF, DJ Bebop and Gorn like this.
  12. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    It's really pretty simple. You only need a few tools and a little common sense. The only ways you can really cause any harm is to strip out screws (relatively minor but make sure you are mindful) and to snap or strip the truss rod (big deal). Just take any truss rod adjustments you need to make real slow and it won't be an issue. Do try to find specific instructions for you bass - my 6 string has a funky truss rod with dual adjustment and works differently than my other basses - took me a while and some research to figure out how to manage that.

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The set up might make it through the shipping process. It might not. I wouldn't take that $75 gamble.

14. Thanks for the encouragement and tips. Much appreciated!

15. Again... another great point/consideration. I really never thought about that aspect (shipping).

juancaminos likes this.
  16. I like this one. Short n sweet 4 part series

MCF, Madhouse27, DJ Bebop and 5 others like this.
  17. Yep. I've checked this out before. Dude is pretty thorough and explains things well. Thanks!

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  18. Ps, i vote for the jazz. But maybe its b/c i want one too! ;)

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Even if Sweetwater set up a bass perfectly for me, it’d still need to be redone when I put the strings I like (very light gauge) on it.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  20. For me set up is a personal preference and no matter who I purchase a bass from I will measure and adjust to my liking. And that doesn't mean every bass will have the same setup. It is what I feel comfortable playing on that given instrument. :)

AndyPanda, MCF and MoeTown1986 like this.