Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swimming in Oklahoma lakes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by alembic76407, Feb 9, 2005.

1. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    think twice about swimming in fresh water lakes !!!!

this is not a state record for a catfish

Attached Files:

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Oh how I would love to catch one that big, record or not :D

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

That's ginormous. Weight? Which lake is that from? Ever check out that documentary on Okie Noodling? All that fish needs now is a skillet, some flour and corn meal, a few eggs, two beers, and some bacon grease. Mmmmm, fish fry.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

It's out of Lake Texoma, right on the OK-TX border. I think it was actually caught on the Texas side of the lake.

Old news, though. That was caught close to a year ago, if not more.

5. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    it is 121 pounds and they kept alive, it now at the Athens freshwater fisheries center.

noodling takes a speical breed, and I'm not sticking my hand in to a muddy hole underwater to find out whats in there!!!

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    There's a guy I work with who used to be a game warden for the State. He tells us stories about people who catch big catfish like that by "snagging".

Technique by using deep-sea fishing rods and reels and huge hooks with lots of weight to get a lot of distance and ensure the hook goes all the way to the bottom. After you cast the hook hits the floor of the river/lake and you start making rapid jerking motions while reeling the line in. You in effect hook the fish while it's resting on the floor and "snag" it with the hook.

He's got pictures of some pretty big fish 50-100 pounders. You see pics like those...and the one here...and yes, you rethink your decision to swim in some places.

Oh yeah...the "Snagging" technique is totally illegal, at least I know it is in Louisiana and Texas. (Just in case anybody had thoughts of becoming Bill Dance or something :p )

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    People sometimes do it near powerplants and such, too, in rivers where fish immigrate to and eventually pool just below these obstacles.

It is illegal, and there's a good reason why. Rather than catching the fish, those big hooks tend to rip the fishes sides up and killing them to the bottom, so for each fish you catch, you seriously injure perhaps as much as dozen more.

8. Hmmm. It don't hold a candle to this 480 lb+ monster.

[​IMG]

And there are a few pics, though they are old and probably not on the net, of a 1800 (yes, that's right two zeros) sturgeon caught on the Columbia back near the turn of the 20th century. It was something like 20 feet long and was brought in with a team of horses, and caught on 1/2" thick cable!!:eek:

Rock on
    Eric

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Legal in Lincoln County, Montana for about a month every year. I was visiting friends in Eureka one year during the time it was legal. I am not a fishermen, but I had a grand ole time "snagging".

-Mike

10. I didn't think I'd see a thread about a fish other than bass on this site ;)

Snagging is quite illegal here... and those are some big fish.