1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Swimming Pool" Routing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gypsygeek, Apr 11, 2006.

1. gypsygeek

gypsygeek

Jan 29, 2006
    Hi all -

I'm trying to put my Jazz copy on a diet, and am wondering about routing out under the pickguard, similar to a St**t. How would this impact the sound, and would it save enough weight to be worthwhile?

Thanks!
    P

2. i was recently wondering the same thing... sort of... i was thinking of routing to make more space, but i was thinking for adding electronics. i figure i can build circuits for a pretty complex EQ system, but i've run out of room in the control cavity.

Anyone see extra routing being a problem?

3. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Neck dive perhaps? That would only be if you took out an awful lot of wood

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Chambered and semi-hollow instruments are quite popular. In general the routing is hidden in the body under laminates of wood, but routing under the pick guard would work too.

If I was going that way I'd leave the current electronics and pickup cavities alone and route as much as I could around them. That way you don't have to shield the entire new route, only the existing cavities (which might be shielded already). I doubt you'll get a whole lot of weight savings by just routing under the pick guard, but it would have some effect. You might be better off planing 1/4" off the top, routing your chambers wherever you want, then gluing a new top over that. Then you'd get your weight savings and a nice new bookmatched (my preference) top.

-Nate

5. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I wonder how much wood you'd have to take out to get any real weight savings? Let's say Alder bodies are on average about 5 pounds with nothing on them, you'd have to remove essentially 1/5 of the body wood to save 1 lb. IMO after taking a neck apart and having the tuners weigh as much as the whole neck, I think lighter hardware may be more beneficial than removing wood, unless routing under the PG does some good effect on the sound.

6. gypsygeek

gypsygeek

Jan 29, 2006
    I'm starting to think you're correct - there's not a lot of material to remove under the PG, probably not enough to make any significant difference. If it were a nicer bass I'd consider planing/chambering/topping, but this is just a cheap Jazz clone, so clearly not worth that degree of effort. Thanks for the feedback, all.

7. ok ok ok... now heres a question (yes, im jacking your thread, and you cant do anythign about it... save tell the mods)

Would it make life alot easier to install pickups and electronics that way?

Im making a "jazz" stylish clone with buckers (maybe just one), and ive never made a bass before...

is there any way i could just somehow install the pickups like strat pickups (on the pick guard?) dont worry, it will be a thick wood pickguard, but is it possible that way? with the "swiming pool" bit?

cause that would make installing pickups on this beast a breeze... id only need to cut one pickup hole, and then a swimming pool.....

i mean, it would be a cop out, but none the less, a decent project for someone who isnt that prone to using tools and what not...

so whaddya think:eyebrow: ?