1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Swine flu - media hype, or should we be concerned?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Apr 25, 2009.

1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Something else for us to be afraid of.

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    bah, animals have been getting sick ever since they evolved into animals. What else is new?

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    We should be concerned. While reading this article, they threw out the figure that the Hong Kong bird flu killed around a million people. I didn't realize how devastating that flu was. I'm concerned over here in California. Most of my students are Mexican, and many of them go back and forth rather frequently.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    SARS, mad cow, bird flu, swine flu what's next?

5. rabies

wait we already did that. :bag:

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    um, i may have had this.. i was sick all week.. CNN was mentioning San Antonio.. everything was flu-like. i'm so serious, i had to Facebook it.

7. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Eat more swine !!!!

Break out the pork roll ....

:bag:

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i missed part of monday, tues-wednesday, and part of thursday... i really wish i wasn't sick and were at the office.. i had some stuff to catch up on..

i never miss that much work.

9. As the population increases and hygiene decreases - there will be more ailments introduced - a lot of these will be foodborne or through food contamination as we have already seen. The Water Supply is going to be the next biggest concern - clean Water will become a have item - the havenots will drink the swill.

10. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I think the infection vs deaths map will over time reveal something that's been known for ages.

The closest you are to the equator, the more vulnerable people are to influenza. The normal fatality rate is something like 2.5%. As of right now, this new mutation of the virus (which continuously mutates) gives roughly a 6.4% mortality rate, and it's spread in a southern country. I'll start worrying when healthy people who actually have a natural resistance to flu start suffering. Not healthy people whose organism never fought influenza before.

11. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    That's all?
    How about 20 to 40 million?
    http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

:help:

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, but those numbers were very guardedly released by China. Who knows what the real number is. :meh:

13. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    It wasn't just in....oh. nevermind. You meant the bird flu figures, not the Spanish. Ignore me. Carry on. :bag:

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Well, considering that we are only 91 years removed from a nasty flu that killed a 600,000 americans and 20-40 million worldwide back around 1918, I'm happy that the powers that be keep a watchful eye out for possible pandemics. I hope this latest bug turns out not to be worse than most other flu strains of the past, but imho it's not hype, but using common sense to contain a possible threat. The one from the 1918 was truly nasty as it had killed younger adults in their prime, more so than the usual victims of the elderly and infants.

15. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm preparing in case it mutates into a virus that causes zombification. You can never be too careful.

16. All fun and games concerning this aside, the last time swine flu was a real pandemic problem I believe something like 40 million (the official number keeps changing) died from it. All reports are saying that this is an entirely new strain never seen by us before. I'm just gonna stay calm and keep my eye on it.

17. Just consider how easy it is to pass a "normal" flu virus from person to person. Swine flu is an influenza virus that is transmitted in the same fashion. You can say it's media hype but if it wasn't on the news everyone would say why weren't we informed.

There is cause for concern. Should it be a "the sky is falling" kind of concern? No, at least not yet.

This flu will not be stopped in the USA though as there are already pockets of it in numerous states.

Good thing I was one who bought all the ammo when everyone starts turning into zombies. :eek:

18. Clearly an economic strategy by the Government - the Swine Flu Spreads and reduces the population significantly. One might think this would reduce revenue - less people less taxes. In reality only about half the population are actually contributing to the Tax Base - the half that are not will just by the law of averages have a higher incidence of exposure and fatalities. This will free up untold amounts of Tax Money currently being funneled in support of the Social Programs that provide their sustenance. I'm Veclempt - talk among yourselves - you already have the Topic :eek:

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    On the idea above, it could in fact be a great boon to the government. Imagine a disease that wipes out a substantial portion of the elderly population. That's millions of people the government doesn't have to shell out social security and medicare money for, as well as a big bonus in the form of inheritance tax. But as of right now I don't see the swine flu being the huge pandemic people are worrying about... but only time will tell.