Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swing Low: The Chinese Food and a Tale of ADD

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fleckbass211, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    Talkbass! I have been amazingly jealous of the common man for many a year.

Anyways, I quit bass because it was boring, and tried to pick up guitar. I still loved bass but there was no way I could pick one up and play it again. However, I am picking one up again and getting all the books online and from the library, with my goal being to kickass and write some good riffs for electronica bands. Wish me luck.

Ill upload my **** soon, Fruity Loops is golden.

Im back. Listen to the Chemical Brothers in my name, and don't be suprised if Talkbass goes down due to my return.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like "Chinese" food too, but most of it sucks here in western MA. When I head towards home and Boston, it gets better as the miles tick by. ...I think there might be a country song in that somewhere.

3. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    Food gets better the further east you go.

I couldnt move outside of Cincinnati because of the chili and subs.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Mexican food gets better the further South you go.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Same with Cajun food - Jersey-boy Emeril is NOT Cajun, by the way. He's an OK cook...but you want the REAL deal, Paul Prudhomme! He grew up in N'awlins, and his cookin' is the real deal.

Pfffah...east is better...go to the source, y'all! :)

6. Australian food is best - it doesn't cost your first child for a decent steak, and we are unlikely to get mad cows disease etc..

That said, we get a herb/spice mix called "Cajun". Wonder if that is anywhere near the taste of N'awlins food. Prolly not. :D

Welcome to TB Fleck

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Pete, you changed your handle? :) Cool.... :cool:

Nice t'mee'cha, Mr. Squire.

...and it depends on the premixed spice stuff. There are a few that are pretty accurate, if you can get them:

Zatarain's
    Tony Cachere's (I keep this in my kitchen)

However, it can be like that Pace Salsa commercial (maybe just a US thing, sorry), where they look at the label on the salsa and all say "New York City!?!?!?" - implying (probably accurately) what would someone in NYC know about making good salsa? In other words, if the mix is made in Oz, I'd say it's unlikely to be the genuine thing....

8. Yup, feel safe enough round you guys to use my real name now. Go figure???

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ....sucker!!!!

:ninja:

;)

10. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    do you do the bass for the chemical bros? because I have a sticker of theirs which I got while I was in NYC , never heard them though

11. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    Nope, but ill upload my electronica projects soon. I love the stuff man.

Mark my words: In 2 years I will be unbelievable and tabbing out any song with relative ease. It will happen.

12. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    On a more related but still sexy note, please continue the food discussion and recommend any bass books i can D/L, Buy, get from library....

13. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I think im gonna download some chemical bros. seeif I like them

14. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    One of the numerous bands that has made me consider whether spending 4 years wanking in a college is good for me. I can find a decent job and write and read.

15. Yes, but both Chinese and Mexican food get worse as you run to the bathroom! :eek:

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Welcome back to the low end fleck.

Books-pretty much anything by Ed Friedland would be worth the price [if you can find used even more so].

Check ebay-i recently picked up several books for cheap [both of the Simandl books-$13, a mingus book, and a few other assorted DB books].

Some of the musician's institute books are nice along w/the Berklee Press ones. I have used a MI book-Fretboard basics i do believe it was.

I don't know anything electronica specific though.

Food? I'm looking forward to trying some REAL Chicago Pizza vs. the kind made here in Good Ol' Indiana.

That's all

17. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    thanks for giving me the idea to upload solo bass on to myspace.

www.myspace.com/humanlight

anways, ive picked up Power Tools for 4 string bass, Hip Hop (Bass builders ), and funk bass (bass builders )... i also have a killer electric bass in general and jazz book from the library, good for theory.

i might upload a jaco cover in the next few days, maybe bach.. slapping isnt too good on a low end machine, but ill tweak settings and whatnot and see if i can get the sound right.

rocketh on.

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Possibly, but I haven't met one australian who can tell me exactly WHAT vegemite is :)