1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

swing style

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by marine18, Oct 8, 2009.

1. marine18

marine18

Dec 30, 2008
    maiden, n.c.
    how do you play swing and funk styles of music.

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    hi marine18-

that's a tough question to answer in the scope of a single post, but i will tell you that probably the best thing you can do if you want to learn these styles is to first spend LOTS of time LISTENING to as much of this music as possible. get saturated in these styles and listen specifically to what the bassists are doing. listen to the point of being able to memorize and sing these bass parts... if you really want to dig deep, start spending time TRANSCRIBING these bass lines and you'll be amazed at how well you start to internalize these styles and traditions. transcribing is the act of learning a part note-for-note and then writing it down on a staff. the process of learning the part, memorizing the part, and then writing it down consolidates your internalization and understanding of what is being played, and then will subsequently influence you to play more legitimate and traditional examples of the style when you go to jam on your own or in a band setting. i cannot possibly overstate the importance of listening and transcribing! :D this is how you can learn from the masters. learn to hear what they are hearing, learn to play what they are playing!

3. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    oh yeah....

don't just learn the NOTES they play; learn HOW THEY PLAY THESE NOTES! in other words, try to mimic and copy their phrasing and dynamics. emulate the mood and feel of what they are doing, as well.

hope that helps!

4. mVC

mVC

Jan 28, 2006
    Hi Adam,

following up your answer, would you suggest learning a whole part first note-by-note and then write it down, or do both at the same time, learning 2-3 measures and write them down and go on to the next 2-3 measures.

Thanks
    Maurice

5. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    hi maurice!

honestly, either approach would work well. it all depends on the individual and how you assimilate the music you are working on. for me personally, i prefer to learn shorter segments one at a time if it is a more challenging passage, such as 4 bars or 8 bars at a time. this allows me to put it together piece by piece in a way that doesn't seem overwhelming. :)