Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swinging the Bass/strap locks/break help....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Melodrabass, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Melodrabass

Melodrabass

Oct 3, 2002
    Redding, CA
    Ok... Well, I decided I would try to learn how to Swing my bass, down and up over my back... So I purchased some strap locks and put those bad boys onto my Washburn. The screws were smaller than the ones, but it felt like they were in tight... So I went outside and started swinging my bass... Right when I felt like I was getting the hang of it, my strap came off! AHHH!!! Now the screw size is like twice the size it originally was! Any advice on how to fix this? and prevent it from happening again... I'm guessing it just happened because the screw was skinnier than the original... Thanks.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This question is not technique related. You'll probably get more answers in Setup, where this thread will be moved.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    A 1/4" x 2" lag bolt should do the trick. Go to any hardware store and they'll fix you up.
    Doc

4. A common household remedy for strap button screws is toothpicks and glue. Stick the tooth picks into the hole, snip off the excess and glue them in there. then screw in the buttons, or locks, and you'll be good to go once the glue dries.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Until you swing your bass again.
    Doc

6. For an even better hold, try mixing wood glue with baking soda.

7. Of course, you could always try treating your bass like a musical instrument rather than a stage prop (read: don't swing it). Just a thought.

I've never understood why people do this.

8. Melodrabass

Melodrabass

Oct 3, 2002
    Redding, CA
    Thanks, what I ended up doing was going down to the hardware store and getting some wood putty stuff and filled the broken part, and now I'm waiting for it to dry... Hopefully that holds... :( I wouldn't want that happening again... at least I was out in the grass and not on cement.

Yea, I first had it in the technique cat because I was going to ask for some advice on swinging... but ummm... I figured I got it, and it's just going to take practice. Gotta orbit that beast.

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    There's a lesson to be learned here, but I'll be damned if I know what it is...

;)

You know, when too many people try to do something unique or cool, it ceases to be unique and cool. Why not do something that is unique these days -- impress people with your playing ability.

;)

10. Melodrabass

Melodrabass

Oct 3, 2002
    Redding, CA
    oh yea, also...
    When I was putting the screw in on the bottom, I shoved some paper into that one, because it was really loose... Do you think that will hold? It was really tight to screw it in, I had to screw it pretty hard and it feels snug... I don't really see why it would be coming out... But I'm not so sure now.

11. Melodrabass

Melodrabass

Oct 3, 2002
    Redding, CA
    But I'm learning how to do it the "hard" way ;) heheh... I actually don't see too many people who do it. I'm practicing my playing ability while the screw wound heals :D I added some quick drying strong bonding glue as well, because I was getting inpatient for the wood stuff to dry... I need to spice up my stage presence a lil bit... Sooo... NO PAIN NO GAIN, right? too bad my bass was the one who that applied to...

12. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    luckily its your strap locks your trying to get reattached and not the bass's neck =)

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I need to work on my stage presense too, but you don't see me swinging my bass around my head...

14. that wood putty stuff? crumbles like dry mud...so i suggest goign to daddy's tool box and getting a drill and re drilling the hole to fit a dowel rod and shove that in the hole cut it to fit.. make sure you score the sides of it (score - rough it up with a knife) then use WOOD glue...

the paper idea... it probably wont last for very much longer... read above to change that one out.....

15. Hi Melodrabass...

You got a lot of good advise from the respondents in this forum, but you seem to have done something completely different. I do not think your repair is sufficient...I could be wrong, but wood putty is not the typical repair solution. For what it's worth...good luck.