Swinging your bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Canis, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Canis

Oct 1, 2003
    I was wondering if anyone here has seen someone (or better yet, attempted themselves) swing their bass around their neck and caught it as it returned around the other side. I've seen Blindside (at least I think it was Blindside if memory serves me right) do this a couple times and I thought it was awesome. He tossed the bass up and to the side; it looped around his neck and he caught it and started playing when it came around the other side.

I want to attempt this myself but I am scared out of my wits that I'm going to smack my bass on the ground or on my head. I was hoping to be able to do this during a show with my band and I think it will really add to the stage presence. Does anyone here know how to go about practicing this? I was thinking about tying some rope to a broom just to get used to the motion. Are there any other ways to safely go about doing this?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    While this is a technique, it's not about playing the bass. Off to Miscellaneous.
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    First thing you need to do is strap your bass REALLY low, the lower portion of the body should be no higher than your kneecap. I reccomend sewing two straps together. Don't worry about straplocks, they are a waste of money, and only add weight to slow down the swinging. Parachute pants will help reduce any resistance below the belt, just make sure your mullet doesn't get caught up in it, that hUrTz yo.

I think it is mostly important to decide WHEN to do this, like a slow song, or heck, even between songs would be sweet. I honestly wouldn't waste much time learning scales or anything like that, concentrate on your moves, no one that goes to your shows would even notice a difference anyway. I bet no one ever got groupies based on the time they wasted on theory!

Image is everything, don't let any of these other clowns here tell you different.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    <p>Hello there. A video you might want to check out is the BAND video (not the movie video) of the song Cold by Static X. Tripp (I think that's his name, appoligies if it is not) does this with his guitar in the video. Don't bother going to the Static X web site to view it, they took it off and rearranged things because of their new CD. Just do a google search on it. Other than giving you that visual aid that could help you, I have no further advice. :) Good luck <P>
  6. Canis

Oct 1, 2003
    There is more to being successful as a band member than just theory. I've been studying theory and regularly practicing scales for eight years. I've always thought it was essential to practice theory and scales to become a great bassist. However, I was just looking for something fun and unique to do that was bass related in addition to theory and scales.

Thanks a ton for the lead. I have yet to find a working link on a site, but that's still a great start. I'll probably search for it on kazaa when I'm on my home computer.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

You were looking for something "unique".... so you are going to copy what several other people have done before.... :meh:
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think it's funny that this has come back as a gimmick. The guy from CKY did/does it because he thought/thinks it was/is funny. Now he has retired it (ha ha again) from his stage show because he saw some guy from Linkin Park or some ****ty band like that do it.
  9. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    See almost any Victor Wooten video
  10. Canis

Oct 1, 2003
    I'm not saying it's completely unique. But it's something that not many people do. In fact, I've never seen it done in any show by a local band around here. I'm not looking to be the first to do it; I'm looking to make an impression on someone who may have come to see another band. If you saw someone swing a bass around their neck on a crowded stage, would it not be a memorable sight? Granted, playing bass with my pants around my ankles is a memorable sight that virtually removes all danger of wacking someone in the head. But I just want to expand my knowledge of all things that have do do with being a performer and a bassist. Even if it looks absolutely stupid and I never ever do it at a show, it's still another arrow in my quiver so to speak.
  11. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    If you really do want to go and be cheesy and copy so many others, Chad Ginsburg of CKY is the guy to watch. I've seen videos of him doing a triple guitar spin, then catching it on beat, no joke.
  12. Chad Ginsburg is the master of the guitar flip. Watch and learn. He pulled it with a 70's Ibanez Jazz copy back in 99 when CKY had no bassist. He uses Shaller straplocks and a lot of tape to lock it in.
  13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I was watching a video with my friends and the cky guy was hanging by his neck for a video. He did the toss thing and almost killed himself, lol. Wait thats really not that funny, poor guy. I like Cky music but not that skateboreding stuff that comes with it.

I'm trying to "dance" like the Dave In the video for The Majesty Of Rock while Nigel is doin his solo. lol
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone watch the CKY (The band) DVD? The Escape from hellview, he was hanging by his neck in a noose and he swung his guitar and almost died! Ha, what a dumb...butt.
  15. I'd say don't swing your bass. Bad for your neck, bad for your bass (atleast if you do it wrong, like most people probably do). Not everyone is Victor Wooten ! ;)
  16. Ironically...I saw him do it about 2 hours ago...
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Well - if you're asking me the question...then I would have to say NO!
    I would just be questioning my judgement at coming along to see such a superficial band and would almost certainly be walking out, making a mental note to ignore them entirely in future.

That's just my opinion of course, but I have walked out on many bands over the years without giving them another thought, whereas many bands have made me want to come back, buy all their CDs etc. etc.

But it has inevitably been entirely about the music - you don't get any "cheap tricks" when listening to a CD....:meh:

I have found that if a band cant keep your attention by virtue of the music alone - then anything else is just going to be an irritation.
  18. I've practiced it, but am yet to do it live as i'm waiting for the right show, and big enough stage(i have six other people on stage with me)
    I've seen it done a few times live and it is impressive to watch and it adds to the stage show which is good because you go and watch a band live to see them perform and thats what it is, part of the performance

Go and watch some of the suggested videos and see if its you, ohh and if you do decide to practice is use lots of gaffa tape :)