1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

swirl paint job using borax / oil acrylic & tub thread...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SWILLKILL, Jul 30, 2007.

1. SWILLKILL

SWILLKILL Banned

Apr 24, 2007
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i came across a post/thread the other night about a painting process using borax and oil paints in a large rubbermaid tub.

the thread was complete with info and pictures of the process. i cant find it for the life of me - i tried searching borax but cant seem to locate it ... maybe one of you know what thread exactly im talking about.

i believe the thread was about finishing/painting the body and there might have been a link to another forum with the borax process thread.

help!

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    just like in the other thread you posted and I replied this became very popular do to the steve vai signature models of the 80-90s

They miss the most crucial step on project guitar and thats the clear coat. You have to build several succesive layers and with flat sanding in between to go over the multi stepped finish,

think about it paint is being put on said instrument in a very uneven fashion. Also after pulling it out of the water is a huge step as well.

By the way you dont need to use Borax either :)

Oh and some paints work better than others

Oh dont forget to wax holes so water doesnt seep into the bare wood causing warpiing

Oh its not oil based paints that work

Oh make sure your clear doesnt react with the paints

Oh make sure you dry it properly to not get drips

Oh make sure you use the proper tempature of water, hence no borax

the list of things not mentioned go on and on and on

Hence why ATD designs(original swirler for Ibanez) and Herc Fede charge upwards of 500-900 for a swirl.

There is a ton of steps that is not mentioned at project guitar, Ive attempted it over 20x with not so good results. Its not just dunking some wood into a water and pulling out a masterpiece. There is a science to it that takes years to become even "Okay" at swirling let alone good.

3. SWILLKILL

SWILLKILL Banned

Apr 24, 2007
    yea - i know, figure someone might see it here that doesnt see it there.

anyway, in the thread the guy does dips the body once in a rubbermaid tub with borax , and i think - oil paints. he swirled the paint around a bit, put the body in and moved it around and took it out - looked friggn awesome.

i recently saw a jackson v with a black and crimson swirl that just looked sick and i was thinking of trying it.

4. SWILLKILL

SWILLKILL Banned

Apr 24, 2007
  5. You're welcome. If you do a swirl, describe the work and post pix.

6. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I'm pretty sure that double posting is against TB rules...