1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"swirling" advice needed.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mjwhit, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Im looking at doing a swirled paint job. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

My problem is that I live in NZ and ive never heard of "borax" before. Or were to buy it. Apparently its used for washing?

I have prepped the body, and have a tub ready. But im not sure what i need to add to the water to make the paint float. I have experimented with turps and various other things i thought might do the trick, to varying success.

Basicly my question is- What can I add to my water instead of borax, or alternativly were can I buy borax in NZ?

It is a guitar body, but Im not a member of a guitar forum and atm i dont intend to become one. :)

Heres a pic of the body after sanding/priming
    Thanks guys.
    DSCN2976.

2. So Ive gone away and done another round of sanding/painting. No replies? Call me impatient, but im not giving up on TB yet. Bump!

Who here has done a swirl paint job before?

3. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Can't help you with the paintjob, but you're posting in the middle of the night for people in Europe, after midnight for people in the Eastern US and well into the evening for the West Coast. Maybe your patience will have to be tested until people are awake ;)

4. 2 am here.. im still up! but then again.. im insane and tomorrow is my day off.

seriously no borax in NZ? its getting kinda scarce here.. since people have moved in, but in rustic parts of town you can find it. out in the sticks, boonies, mountains, over the hills and far away.

maybe call a chemist? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

ive used it in art classes before

5. All is good guys.
    I've changed my mind. Im going to splatter paint instead. Ive bought some "glow in the dark" paint and various flouro colors.:ninja:

Should be interesting to see what it turns out like. Worst case scenario I have to sand it all off and start again.:)

6. I tryed a splatter effect on an SG kit recently, just white base coat, and then I accidentally exploded a can of black paint over it. I liked it so Decided to go with that, and it looks awesome. Unfortunatly I've run out of paint, so I have to get some more becore I do the neck and front of the body.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I saw Borax for sale in a big grocery store when we were in Sydney two years ago. It was labeled "Sodium Borate" and was in the aisle along with laundry detergent. I forget the name of the store, but it was a big chain grocery store we saw throughout Oz...

8. thanks, but... ive finished! Turned out awesome. Glow in the dark paint and all! Next time...

DSCN2988.
    DSCN2983.
    DSCN2987.

9. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    wow that looks freaking great :eek:

10. Excellent! Jackson Pollock would have been proud.

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    very cool man. you should of made a vid!

12. I've finished. After a set up shes good to go.

I no longer want it. Anyone in N.Z who wants to swap it for a new project? Ideally a squier P bass, but I'm not fussy. Any condition, even in parts...

If you are in Welly it would make life easier. If no bites (there are a few other forums who know of this guitar) then its going on trademe with a silly reserve.

Comes with (a new set of) strings attatched...:ninja:

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's a funny looking bass.

14. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    sorry to post late but wouldnt borac acid work as as borax? if so it can be found in the pest control section i use it to kill ants anywho looks nice bro

15. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Borac acid or boric acid?

A little late, but borax is sodium borate and is the key ingredient in Tide. IF you can't get it there you could always go outTide! Is this thing on?

16. actually, lookin @ the strat...it could use a little bit of fret dressing (string dimples evident)...I already have a strat-like guitar, sorry no need :)

a P-bass would be uber cool in splash tones :)
    if you're using those sorta colours, try it on a satin black background for more contrast

17. Yeap it definatly needs a fret dress. The low E string especially. Its going in to get one either today or tommorow depending on how much time I have.

My thinking exactly. Hence why I wanna swap for an unmeddled P...

18. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well thats my first try on a guitar.. i did touch it while still drying so got a fingure print on it . will paint over that tho before sealing