1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swirling feedback and then my amp died

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Max, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Things going smoothly Friday night with my trusty Genz Benz 600 GBE. All of the sudden there is whirly twirly feed back that if it were visible, it would look like the ghosts flying around when they opened up the ark of the covenant in the original Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Everyone in the band is looking up and around collectively saying WTH?! and then silence. My amp protect light goes on and the amp shuts down and will not come out of protect.

In 12 years of playing, I have owned exactly two amp heads. Both Genz Benz. Never brought a back up. Shutting down like that sucked big time. I shall forever carry two henceforth.

Will take the amp in for repair, but was wondering if anyone would venture a guess as to what happened. We were playing in a basketball gym and I was playing a little louder than usual, but had plenty of "headroom" as I think I understand that term. (I was turned up to 5 on master and gain, tube control about the same). Passive G&L SB-2 though the pups are hot. Had feedback with this new bass previously in a smaller venue.

Comments?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Sounds like something failed in your amp. Is it possible that there was a power issue at your gig? The symptoms are kind of odd.

I can get you service information if you would like.

3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Did you unplug the speaker cable from the amp, yet? Do that first, see if it comes out of protection and go from there.

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Just to document the outcome in case anyone does a search on a Genz Benz 650 GBE: Invoice states that the problem was a broker solder on the main filter cap. Several glue beads had fallen off. Re-solder, reglued some caps, replaced two fuses that blew. $5 in parts. $80 hour charge and I am good to go.

5. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Carrying 2 Genz Benz amps around is still much easier than toting even 1 SVT. Although, I still love my Ampegs.