Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swiss Army Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Studenick, Mar 3, 2006.

1. While there have been innumerable threads on this forum concerning what bass is best for (insert genre here), I haven't seen much discussion on do-everything basses.

I play a number of different gigs and a number of different musical styles, but I need an axe that can do it all pretty much.

So, which bass and why.

Discussion?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Roscoe Beck and G&L L2000/2500 come to mind.

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    G&L ASAT or L2K

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender J

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 They really are quite dynamic.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm partial to Jazz style basses and they work well for just about everything I play. But, I would have to consider the Roscoe Beck and F Bass as the most flexible. They both cover a lot of territory and sound great.

The problem is finding something that can have a "vintage" sound and a "modern" sound. I haven't found the perfect one yet...

7. one of those line 6 basses?

8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Fender Jaguar -- big time!

9. For me, something with a PJ pickup config would be my swiss army bass (even though I dont own one yet). I find myself, when playing my jazz, that I do 75% bridge and 25% neck. But, also, I would like the P pickup for the roundess and I like the slap sound of the P.

To me, a bass with this config would be the best of both worlds..

10. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    +1

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I was just about to say... beaten like a red-headed stepchild :(

It goes active/passive with tone controls passive and active treble/bass boost active, either pup on or off, and series or parallel, has a Geddy sized neck and pups, and the best thing? I got one for Valentine's Day. My wife bought it because...it was red. :D

12. DRZ400Bassman

DRZ400Bassman

Nov 6, 2005
    Ibanez SR800 with the vari-mid eq has long been considered the classic standard by which all basses are judged for a working and gigging mans bass, every tone imaginable lurks in them. Solid quality, tone, and value. If I was forced to have just one bass for the rest of my life and had to choose one for every style the decision would be easy, SR800.

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

What about the J/P/J Stu Hamm??? :meh:

14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I am finding my sadowsky RV5 is doing the trick on all of my gigs. I go from metal to jazz fusion to choke your girlfriend sappy pop that pays the bills. It sounds great in all the mixes.

15. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

ROFL!

What a great (and accurate) statement!

16. Cirrus?

I've used mine for Funk,Jazz,Country,Rock,and any other kinda gig you can imagine and with a few adjustments it'shandled them all well

17. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Thought you were gonna be talking about the ledgendary Krappy Guitars Swiss Army Rod from their Punk Rod line:

[​IMG]

But being serious, a P/J bass is pretty damn flexible (got one :D) and apparently cirrus' are too (getting one soon :D). Looks like I have flexible basses.

18. swiss army bass =
    G&L L-2000 or L-2500
    EB Bongo
    Fender Rosco Beck

Any bass with two splittable humbuckers would generally be worthy of the "swiss army" multi-purpose bass moniker...

but then a true "swiss army" bass would also have 2 scales, 3 tuning ranges, 3 types of strings (rounds, flats, and tape wound), be both fretless and fretted, be active passive, and piezo and be hollow and solid body...

hence the reason why so many people own more than 1 or 2 basses.

19. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I really wanted a G&L 2500, Lakland 55-02, Nueser Cloudburst and an MTD 535, and I also wanted to have just one mainstay that could cover ALL styles that I play (I'm not a regular gigging bassist, so I don't feel justified in owning several basses). I chose the RBV 'cause it's even more versatile than a Jazz bass; plus the fact that my wife didn't even flinch at the price!...........Wish I had one of these back in the 70's!

20. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1 on the G&L

I play most everything with my Stingray cuz that's the sound I want to play most everything with. However, the Stingray is quite out of place in my country band, so I've also got a neck-thru for my country sound. And I've also got an Ibanez P copy with a P pickup and flatwounds for that unique sound. But if someone told me I had to play everything with just one bass, I would go buy me that G&L.