Swiss prices. A rant.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bmc, Nov 16, 2004.

1. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Dropped into a local music store on Saturday. Picked up a Schecter California Custom 4 string Jazz bass. Very impressive. Plugged it into a 600 watt Tech Systems head with a 6-10 bottom.

The price for the schecter? USD 1,300.

I didn't know much about Schecter products and surfed into a couple of sites in the USA where they sell for USD599.

I think the Swiss aren't aware of the internet, online shopping Fedex/DHL, etc because I can land one of those into my living room for under USD900.

When you ask for a price here, they open a catalogue and quote you the manufactures list price, not suggested retail price. When you tell about options like, internet shopping, they kind of blush, acknowledge that they've heard about it and then ask you if you want to buy from them.

Good cheese, though.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But if you bought via the internet you would still have to add on VAT at about 17.5%, shipping and customs dues paid on the total - plus you have no guarantee it will survive the trip, intact!! :meh:
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    California Custom? From what I understand those go for $2K+. You were reading the prices for their Diamond series. Those are made in Korea.

Sounds like a good deal.
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He lives in switzerland not the UK.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

I was thinking about the EU where it's between about 16 and 25 (Sweden!) - but there will still be some charges - taxes/customs to add? I think VAT is about 7.5% in Switzerland? But there will be customs charges as well..
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Hi guys...back online...goofing off from work for a minute.

I pay a marginal duty, but no VAT as Switzerland is not part of the EU. I doubt they will join anytime before 2116. Don't want to rush into any changes.

I picked up my MIJ Jazz from BassNW a couple of years ago. Shipping went just fine and bass came in great shape.

The Schecter bass I tried is the Diamond series made in Korea. It really sounded full, brite, deep bass. The bridge pickup yielded good burby tones. A good part of the sound was that Tech Systems rig. I've played my own basses through it and delivered. What a great sounding rig.

The check out of the Schecter was a quick pull it off the rack, plug it in while standing, do a few runs, mess the controls, and check out the neck. I was really impressed by it. It was really nice. It's been a long while since I've had gas, and few basses have turned my head in recent years. I'll caveat that by saying I purposely stay away from basses with a coma in the price. Don't need that torture anymore.

Anyhow, UK prices aren't a whole lot better due to the strength of the pound. Shopping in France, Italy or Germany is equally painful due to the strength of the Euro.

It's really frustrating when you go shopping for that 400 watt plus head and either 2 1-12 cabs, or a four ten and you're looking at $3,000. Then you get a flyer in your email from Behringer selling their 4-10 cabs for real cheap. Wadda ya do? Basses I'll ship across the pond. 60 pound cabs I will not.

Should have taken up harmonica. :scowl:
  7. Bruce Lindfield

I got this from :

The table below shows the most common VAT rates in selected European countries. Rates can and do change, so this table should be used only as a general guide:

Country VAT %
    Austria 9.09-16.67%
    Belgium 21%
    Denmark 25%
    Finland 17-22%
    France 5.21-16.38%
    Germany 7-16%
    Greece 11.5-15.25%
    Ireland 17.36%
    Italy 4-20%
    Luxembourg 15%
    Netherlands 15.97%
    Portugal 19% (13% in Madeira and Azores)
    Spain 16%
    Sweden 25%
    Switzerland 7.6%
    United Kingdom 17.5%
  8. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hey BMC,

It takes awhile but there are great deals to be had on the Used market. Im pretty sure you can find something like the Shecter if you wait awhile.

Surprisingly in terms of Basses im done! Fodera, MTD, Modulus, Fender Jazz!! And i have gotten all of them from deals here in switzerland or in germany.

Its a shame about Amps though!! Here in switzerland its really hard to get a decent amp. It seems Ampeg and Behringer are the biggest things here. And Ashdown comes a close second..

I agree with the tech stuff though! Those cabs are amazing.. If only i could find a Glockenklang head used! : - )

9. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Hi M...good to see you resurface. The trick to used stuff, I have found, is through private sales. I just unloaded a MIM Precision with EMG's last summer, quite quickly, through word of mouth. The used stuff in the stores is equally insane. There's a used TRB5 sitting in a store in Nyon that has been hanging there for three years at CHF1500. It has not moved. The new Peavey bass amps have also not moved at all. How do these stores stay in business? I just don't understand the mindset.

On the other hand, I have discovered some nice white wines from the Vallais.

You gigging much? I'm playing in Geneva in a pub on Nov 27th, then playing in Champery on December 17th. New Years just got cancelled due to hotel renovations.
  10. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hey B!!

tell me about it! i dont understand how they sell this stuff?? I guess its mostly the kids starting out that dont know any better..
    I doubt someone "in the know" would ever walk out of a store like that with a bass! :smug:

Im not sure if i told you but i just started in a new band! Im in a "leader" role in this new band which is always good :D . The biggest challenge at the moment is getting the Gitarrist to turn the volume down.
    We are working on covers and our own songs so i guess it will be a little while till we gig! At the moment the band we are sharing the band room with is focusing on making a studio so that should be good!

Hey! I might be visiting my girlfriend at that time in geneva.. i think she has her Delph (french) tests at that time!!! Could you send me the address of the place? Im saving it in my outlook :D . Do you have a website where all your upcoming gigs are listed!?

Ill mail my girlfriend and ask her if ill be down there at that time! If yes, you can count on me on being there :hyper: .

11. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Bruce..thanks for the tariff list. And have a great birthday. I'd buy you a pint if I was in the neighborhood. I'll have a tall Guinness...what'll yours be?

Mz....Nov 27th at Charley O'Neils with the Crazy Canadians. I'll have my fretless fankenbass.

Just got a booking this afternoon for Zurich in May. Drop me a pm if you're in Genf on the 27th and I'll buy you the beer I would have bought Bruce Lindfield.

TB's unite.
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Though it's 12% on food and 6% on books and travelling (e.g. train tickets). Too bad you can't eat or read a bass.
  13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Expect Swiss prices to go up even more, as the dollar continues to drop. An investment made into shipping thirty days ago, is suddenly more expensive. Kinda sucks for Europeans trying to buy American goods. Kinda sucks for Americans too, since our standard of living will be impacted. Normally one would expect foreign prices to "drop", unfortunately that isn't happening.
  14. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Actually, the inverse is happening. With the USD dropping, American made/sold products are becoming more affordable. European products will now become more expensive for Americans. Keep an eye on prices of Ebs, Markbass, etc. The Euro is quite strong right now.
  15. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Hey beat me to it. I hit enter and there you were.

A good example of the dropping USD is strengthening of CDN. It's well over $.80 which it hasn't been in years. FWIW, the Swiss Franc is just about on a par with CDN. The CDN is not getting stronger against other currencies, it's getting stronger against the weakening USD. It's not a bad thing. It's actually a very good thing for American made products.
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ranting about Swiss prices?
    Now let me rant about the the prices here :mad:

Guess how much a MM costs? $300-$4000 :mad: :rollno:
    Also, Fenders and all American-made basses go for over list price. :mad: :rollno:
    You at least have higher living standards and incomes unlike us, and yet these greedy bastards tax the hell out of us :mad: :mad:

17. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Sounds Good! Nothing can go wrong..

A live show in a Irish Pub with a free beer!!! :hyper: :hyper: