Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switch GK 410RBH for two avatar B212's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turtletheyertle, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    Should I switch my GK 410RBH for two avatar B212's? (410rbh top of the line gk 410 cab). ive herd that the avatars would be louder, deeper, handle more, and be better in about every way possible... is their any reason why I shouldnt? btw id also rather carry two 70 pound cabs then a 100... and some times i would only need 1 212 but my band is pretty frigge nloud...

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I would research the "deeper" factor. Avatar cabinets are tuned pretty high.

3. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    BUMP

ive heard that the avatars can go very low and deep...

whatever though? a good idea or not?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A GK has never failed me in any way concerning deep tones. But Avatars just won't sound like GK. If you like the tone, don't change it.

5. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    Their cabs sound unique too? i know the heads have their own sound but ive herd people say that the cabs are poorly designed and cost way too much? w/e though that was just a few people

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love the sound of GK cabs, haven't found anything I've ever liked as much. Played Ampegs, old Fender models and an Aggie or two, nothing compares IMO.

7. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    hmm. what gk cabs do you like? and how would you describe their sound...?

8. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    The B212s ( I have one that I use along with a 2x10) will probalby put out more lows and 2 of them would probably be louder than a 4x10. However, if you like the speed and punch of 10s be prepared to lose that. To my ear 12s respond more like 15s than like 10s - slow and mushy. And dificult to hear if you stand right next to your rig, though you may louder than snot 25 feet away.

9. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    What kind of amp are you using? To me, the whole point of having the GK cabs is to take advantage of the GK "Horn Managment System" bi-amp deal... The GK amps won't do that with other cabs....

10. This is definately an apples to oranges comparison. The Avatars would definately handle tons of power and be plenty loud but would sound nothing like your 410.

If you're used to the sound of 10s you may want to look into a 210, 212 rig.

The B212 does sound great to my ears but is missing a little upper mids.

11. If you are serious about the Avatar cabs you should Get 1 B212 and decide what you want from there.

12. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    hmm, mabye my gk 410rbh on top of avatar 212 than?

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Maybe trade them in for 2 GK NEO 212's? What's the point of having a GK head if you can't use the biamp feature? I would stick with the 410RBH's if anything.

14. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    well i love the gk sound, i could never really live without it actually... i dont use the biamp feature tho because I have the 400rb-IV. would you mabye reccomend putting a 115rbh under my 410 and getting a 2001rb?

15. I second the idea of the GK Neo 212's. I love the way they sound and they have great lowend actually more lows than the 410RBH. But the real magic with the Neo series is the smooth midrange. Another plus is they only weigh 60 lbs.

16. could anyone tell me how a either an Avatar B210 or B410 (prefferably the 410) would sound when paired with my mesa/boogie diesel 2x15 cab powered by my bass 400+ head?

from what i hear, these avatars seem to be very affordable, very nice sounding cabinets that can handle the brutal might of a head such as my boogie, but ive never heard them in person, so i wouldnt really know.

17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    :eek: You're using 2 very expensive 410RBH's with a 400RB?!?!? I would trade in one 410RBH for a 1001RB-II and the other for a GK NEO212.

18. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I would keep the two RBH410 cabs and simply just buy a larger amp - like the 1001 or the 1001-II. I have the 1001 and two RBH410 cabs - it sounds soooooo good :bassist:

19. Turtletheyertle

Turtletheyertle

Oct 1, 2004
    i wouldnt use 2 410's, id only use one and a 15 under it, and if i got another cab id get a poweramp and use the 400 as a preamp or id get the 2001rbp.