switch hand slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kserg, Jun 24, 2005.

1. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ok... i have a small problem... this is mostly question for people who are lefties but play right hand bass:/

It seems to work out for me very well... but few things i am having problems with... the thing i care about the most is slapping

Basicly when it comes to slapping i can do it fine with left hand... but i cant get the motion down with my right... it just feels weird and just wont go...

Over all playing right hand is working out perfect... i am acctually very happy i did because i think my leftie is better on fretboard then my right hand and my right is ok at picking... but one thing i have major problem with is slapping...

Has anyone ran into this problem? does anyone know how to fix it? i dont understand why my right hand is unable to do the motion while left is:/

2. I'm a lefty who plays bass right handed as well, and honestly I didn't find that problem when I started slapping. The problem that I did find was that it was hard to slap in general haha.

You probably just need to practice more with your right hand. I've never tried with my left hand slapping, but I bet if I did I'd have problems, atleast with popping!

Something I do a lot is just pretend im slapping if i'm at school or just sitting around somewhere, get the motions down.
  3. Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    I'm a left who plays right, and yeah, I've tried, I've bought books, I've read all the crap, but I just cant seem to get that clean slap coordination. I mean I can pluck, 3 finger pluck and tap a bit right handed, but I can't pick or slap! ITS CRAZY!
  4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah... i''ll give that a shot... Only makes sense since i do find myself playing my pocket a lot:/ Just will look so silly at first... will be missing my leg all the time... hitting people in the eye by accedent:/

PS good... i am not complite moron... other people have same problems too:) good luck with that:)

So far this is the hardest thing i had to go with this adopting rightie thingie

5. Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    I`m a lefty, using a right handed bass, too. You should start pretty slow and trying to get the motion down.

I`m using an exercise, Mike Dimin, I think, showed here. Take a drumstick between your small and ring finger and between your index and thump finger and move your hand like your are slapping (you can find this exercise on his homepage, where it`s described more precisely).

Another idea would be, if you slap not to the left (where the fretboard would be) but instead to the right.

fretboard|<- normal slap |->slap.

Look for a bigger piece of wood, fix it under your arm and start slapping it with your thump from the left

| |
    | | |
    | | -> |
    | |

thump wood

I hope I explained it pretty well. ... and remember: Don`t hurt yourself.