Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

switch in Sterlings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass4nds, Oct 11, 2005.

1. bass4nds

bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    Hey guys. I got a question.
    Our band is off for a week or two, so I'm bored out of my mind with no gigs to look forward to! so I'm sitting here in my house... looking at my old OLP stingray copy... and I was wondering what funky stuff I could do to it, just to pass time. I did this before to a P-bass I owned, and... I ended up making exactly the same bass that Fender made for the Blink 182 bassist. It was fun.
    So, I see that MM sterlings have a switch (3 way? 5 way?) and I'd like to do it to my OLP, just for the heck of it. Does anyone have any diagrams for doing this to a single humbucker? any help would be nice :) thanks guys!
    -Jake

2. knowing a little about the Sterling pickup but nothing about the controls...I'd guess its a 3-way (Series/Single/Parallel)
    and the sterling uses a 3rd dummy coil...but you can wire any 4-wire humbucker this way...

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The pickup is a standard MM humbucker with a dummy coil under the two primary coils (you can see a really good photo at the Nordstrand Pickups site). The 3-way switch allows you to select series, parallel, and single-coil modes.

4. bass4nds

bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    so do you guys, or anyone out there, know how I could possibly wire the 3 way switch into my bass? I'm willing to mess with all of the electronics... it's no great loss if I mess up this bass.

5. go here...
    http://www.kentarmstrong.com/KA_Pickup_Wiring_Instructions.pdf

your wiring colours may be different...if you can...post a photo of the wring cavity of your bass and underside of your pickup...that will help tremendously in determining what is what.