Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switch Innovo Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xsogol, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    They're interesting.

Not sure if this is a "vibra-cell" like some of their guitars, which I've messed with, but on those the inner core is actually a formed dense foam-like cellular substance. The outer "shell" (think M&M's) provides the strength; it's sort of like the original concept of the Parker Fly, 'cept the Parker uses a soft wood instead of styrofoam (grin).

I helped a guitarist friend replace the pickups in his switch guitar, which required a little enlarging of the p/up routs; that's how I know about the inner core - it was floating around in the air above my kitchen table.

I'll tell ya - with a set of Duncans innit - that guitar sounded sweeeeeet.

2. The do use the vibra-cell stuff in them....do you know what the outer shell is made of and if they are strong enough being made out of basically plastic and styrophoam? Interesting...and very unconventional! Thanks!

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    It's probably some form of epoxy/polymer blend or something, sprayed on and allowed to harden. I don't know for sure, and I imagine it's some sort of "7 secret herbs and spices" sort of thing...