Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switch my bass from active to passive with a preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Jan 25, 2006.

1. O.k., I play an active bass but I really love the passive tone. I was wondering if there was some way to switch from active to passive. I've heard of preamps that have a switch for both? I have a p pup at my neck and a double jazz at the bridge. I haven't found any double jazz pups (if i have to add new pickups) so will this cause a problem? What's the easiest way to switch from active to passive, or have the best of both worlds, without buying another axe?

2. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    firts things first, wut type of bass is it? because it depedns on whether or not it has active or passive pickups.

if they are active, you'll ened passive pickups, obviously, or just a new bass (better idea.. unless you REALLY love what you got)

if they are passive, then, well, theres an easy way, and a real easy way. one was is to re-wire your bass, or have it rewired, with a new pull/push pot to control the active circuitry.

the other way is to buy a new preamp harness (might i suggest bartolini) and install that. thsoe typically include the active/passive switch.

either way, it'll be either tiem consuming or costly.

as i said, depends on how much u like that bass.

3. It's a Fender American Deluxe P-bass. The pick ups are active. Active P and active double jazz. So can I just get a pre amp with a passive active switch?

4. Oh, and I definately do not want to get rid of the bass.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Are you sure the pickups themselves are active?

Because there's a difference: the most usual thing is to have regular passive pickups, through an active pre-amp. As far as I know, only EMG makes pickups that have a pre-amp built into the pickup housing itself. So, on EMG pickups, the passive signal directly from the coils isn't available, it goes directily to the internal pre-amp. But on most other systems, the signal from the pickup is connected directly to the pickup coils, and is thus available, for example for passive operation.

So, if your bass is like the most usual setup, with passive pickups connected to an active pre, then it should be easy to arrange an active/passive switch. It might however be more complicated if the pickup signals are mixed inside the pre-amp, instead of before it.

Are the electronic schematics of the Fender AmDelP available anywhere?

6. Is it expensive to do all this? What kind of price range would it involve? (I have a passive fretless that I was considering making active).