Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

switch my hartke 4x10XL for a 2x10 Avatar neo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, May 12, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    Is it a good choice to switch my hartke 4x10XL for a 2x10 Avatar neo?

i have a hartke 3500 top, wich has 350 watt @ 4 ohm, and 240 watt @ 8 ohm.. the 4x10 XL = 400 watt @ 8 ohm, and the avatar neo 2x10 has 600 watt @ 4 ohm.... can my amp handle the 600 watt cab? and does it sound as good as my 4x10? or even better?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    It will sound very, very different. Hartke AL cones have a really unique sound, very crisp and well articulated in the upper range. Nothing else I've ever heard really matches this.

The 210 Neo will sound very different. It will take the full output of your head no problem (there's no such thing as having "too powerful" a cab). However if you go with a 4ohm 210 you will be "stuck" with it as you head cannot go down to 2ohms.

You will probably see a substantial loss in the "size" of your sound, and probably a loss in volume as well. The reason is that you will be pushing 1/2 the speaker area with essentially the same amount of power (90 watts will get you maybe +1db).

The question you should ask yourself is "What am I trying to acheive?" Do you not like the hartke cab's tone and want to try something else? If that's the case I'd get an 8ohm 210, which would leave you the opion of adding another cab later. Most people find the avatar 210s to be a little weak on their own, but they apparently shine when coupled with either the 115 or 212. A 8ohm cab would leave this option open to you (2 8ohm cabs = 4 ohms).

Oh..I jsut noticed you are in the Netherlands. Where are you planning on buying the Avatar? International shipping on cabs is hugely expensive, more than enough to negate the money you save buy an Avatar in the first place.

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    some guy imports the avatar cabs.. they are more expensive than in the usa, but everything is much more expensive here ...

4. I noticed last night that Bass emporium has a new Eden XLT 210 cab for 300 clams, not bad at all. That is the cab with all the balls. I know that wasn't one of the choices, but that is a good deal.

Correction: it is $400, not $300. Still a good deal if you know that cab. 4 ohms, ideal for single cab operation.

http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=D210XLT

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Personally, if you're going to have only 1 cab, I'd go with the soon-to-be-released Avatar 212 NEO (late June, I hear). 55 lbs, plenty of punch AND booty shaking bottom...all @ around 1000 watts or so and less than $300.

I plan on getting one to mate with the Avatar 210 NEO. Lots of TB'ers have the 210/212 or a 210/112 rig that works great...do a search and check them out

6. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Yeah, I just noticed the Avatars as well. Expensive,.. but it's here. :) A little bit late, I just bought a nice cab! (SWR Goliath SR)

Tash has a point. Why do you want to upgrade? Sound/size/Hartkes reputation?!

7. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    weight...

and also, my top has 350 watt @ 4 ohm, so i want to use all the 350 watts, with my 4x10 cab i only use 240 watt, for a 400 watt cab..

i also was thinking about a eden 2x12

[​IMG]

is has 350 watt @ 4 ohm, perfect for my top...

but i was also thinking to switch to two 2x10 hartke XL cabs, instead of one 4x10... it costs the same as one 2x12 from eden... , i really like the 10'' sound so i don't know what to do

8. Jeroen

Jeroen

May 9, 2005
    When you want to use the full 350 Watts of your amp you need to make sure that the impendance of the cab is equal to the impendance of the amp. So if your amp delivers 350 Watts at 4 Ohm, you need to get a 4 Ohm cabinet (or two 8 Ohm cabinets). The 600 Watts of the Avatar B210 Neo 4 Ohm will respond very good to the 350 Watts, no problem. It will even respond very good to an 8 Ohm version of the cab: 280 Watts from the amp will drive the 600 Watt cabinet very nicely.

I agree with the comments about what you want to accomplish with replacing your 4x10". Is it the weight of it, the sound, or whatever? Replacing it with only one 2 x 10"is probably no good. You will not be able to get the same 'sound pressure' since the speaker area of a 2x10" is half the area of the 4x10". And the more speaker area you have, the more sound pressure you have.

You may consider switching to two B210 Neos or one B210 Neo with a B212 of a B115H (Neo). The B212 will come out in a Neo version as well. That will save you back!

A good combination would be: B210 Neo 8 Ohm + B115H Neo 8 Ohm. That will beat your 4x10" Hartke and the 2x12" Eden as well. Both on sound and on price.

9. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Jeroen! It is you! :D

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    That makes two recommendations for this configuration, although 15's are getting a little played out since they tend to be on the muddy side compared to 12's. You can still get all the rumble you need with an Eminence Deltalite 12 (NEO)

I repeat my earlier suggestion..... 210/112 or 210/212, all NEO's

11. Jeroen

Jeroen

May 9, 2005
    MBYIF, it is me..... :hyper:

12. Jeroen

Jeroen

May 9, 2005
    I can agree on that! :bassist:

13. I would go for the Hevos line if I lived where you did. They sometimes have deals on the web sight.

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Couldn't help eavesdropping...and noticing a new link on the Avatar home page to this Dutch distributor:

http://www.gear4music.nl/

This must be the company to which emielow refers. Congratulations on the new Avatar purchase option...

MM