Switch to Bartolini Jazz from Fender American pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Go with the Barts!

15 vote(s)
  2. Keep the Fenders

10 vote(s)
  1. I just got my MIM Fender Jazz and it came with stagered pole American Series Pickups. They sound good and I think I'm gonna keep them. I'm wondering if I should swap them with my Bartolini J9S pickups that just sit in a box on the floor. I remember someone saying that they had a lower output and were mor Hi-Fi sounding. I play rock/funk/alt-country so I'm not sure lo output Hi-Fi is for me.
  2. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    If you want to sell the Barts let me know.
  3. Well, I decided to open up the Jazz Bass and install the Barts! They sound great!!! Perhaps a bit lower output than the stock pups but not THAT much. The tone is nice and warm with less treble but thats cool because it sounds smooth and I'm hearing less high frequency string/fret noise :oops:

Bart J9S = Warm buttery J-Bass growl :D

I'm Hooked...
  4. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Well you did the right thing by switching them in and "taste-testing". Don't knock something till you try it! I personally would have put one of the Barts in and left the stock Fender in the other position and A/B'ed 'em. Its a great way to check output and tonal color.
  5. Imagine how wonderful it would be if you dropped in a J-retro preamp!!!
  6. Tell me more about this J-Retro...

Who's got one and what are they like?
  7. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Or even a Bartolini circuit.

I've currently got a set of Fender CS60 J PU's in my jazz w/ a Bartolini circuit and I'm not crazy about the combo. The increased clarity of the active mode brings out the imbalance of the strings (the A & D strings match the radius of the fingerboard so they're further from the PU polepieces and I can hear and feel the difference between them and the 'hot' E and G strings.

I'm hoping that the internal magnet structure of the Barts is radiused to match a jazz fingerboard... Bartolini is pretty hip on that stuff so I wouldn't doubt it if they're designed with that in mind.

Another observation is that the difference between the sound in active versus passive mode really brings out the top end and I'm thinking that the subdued top of the Bartolini Single coils would really shine w/ the preamp, it would also raise the output as well. Whereas the Fender pickups, with a pronounced top end in passive mode, sound kind of brittle in active mode.

How's the string to string balance on those Barts? Do any strings sound hotter than others?

Take care,
  8. groovemonkey,
    the j-retro was reviewed in bass player mag. do you wan't me to scan it for you?
    (I can't do it now, it's 12:30 Am right now):D
  9. Marc, I'll have to check and get back to you on the string balance thing.

74rickbass, That would be cool if you want to scan that. Thanks!!!!
  10. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  11. marc40a,

I checked the string to string balance through my headphone amp and I'm pleased to say it's nice and balanced! :D
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is copyrighted material. It would probably be better to email it. We wouldn't want Talkbass liable for a lawsuit.
  13. You can delete those if you want embellisher I've saved them.
  14. wooops!
    I never even thought of that!

Groove monkey,
    save the images to your computer, and then I'll delete my posts.

post and tell me when you have them all downloaded.

EDIT: What he said
  15. All gone! :)

Sorry for causing trouble!:D :D:oops:
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

I have Fender pickups in my Fender Jazz V and those same single coil Barts in my custom Jazz (see avatar). I prefer the Fender's sound, but it could be the whole bass, not just the pickups.

In any case, I vote keep it passive. Personally I don't like active EQs, particularly on a Jazz bass. If you like the less bright "Warm buttery J-Bass growl" as you put it I think you'll be happier staying passive with that bass.